The Kay family, Loxley

Hi all,

my great grandmother was Ida Kay (later White), born in Loxley in 1888. She had three brothers Harry (b. 1887), Percy (b. 1891) and Austin (b. 1894) and I believe a sister called Ethel?

Her parents were Henry Kay (b. 1861) and Mary E Kay (not sure on maiden name, b. 1861), both from Baslow. Henry was a Blacksmith.

I am basically wondering if anyone has any information (parish records, etc) relating to this family and the Loxley area. The family were very prominent in Baslow and I have already found records and information for Henry Kay and his family.

Just doing research into family history and I am keen to find out as much as possible about these people that I have never met or heard much about. It would be nice to get an idea of where my family came from and preserve some memories and information.

Thank you.

Chris Elliott.

My great-grandmother married Robert William White (1886-1967), who had three daughters, Roma, Stella and Enid (my grandmother). Enid married Dennis Elliott in 1947 and she is the only surviving member of that family.

Hi Chris. - To help you along, here are scans of the census entries for the Kays in 1901 and 1911. They lived at 26 Hunter Road in 1901, and at 36 Hawksley Avenue (not clear on the scan) in 1911. In the 1925 Kelly's directory, "Henry Kay, Blacksmith" is still shown at 36 Hawksley Avenue. Ida and Ethel are shown in the 1911 census as born at Loxley.

A Henry Kay married a Mary Watson in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1882 - this might be your great-great-grandparents.

Henry is shown as a 5 month-old baby in the 1861 census, his parents being Charles Kay, labourer, aged 31 born at Baslow, and Ann Kay, 32, born at Tideswell. In the 1871 census, Ann doesn't appear with Charles and the children, though Charles is shown as married, not widowed. By this time he was described as a "farmer".

Your great-grandparents evidently married in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1919.

• 1 year later...

Hey there bczel01

WE ARE RELATED!

My name is Robert Grant Kay, we have the same background family History!

How cool is that, I was just surfing the web & randomly Googled Henry Kay of 36 Hawksley Avenue, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

I spent the Summer of 1991/2 researching family history which traced us back to Robin Hood Farm at Baslow.

####################################################

my great grandmother was Ida Kay (later White), born in Loxley in 1888. She had three brothers Harry (b. 1887), Percy (b. 1891) and Austin (b. 1894) and I believe a sister called Ethel?

Her parents were Henry Kay (b. 1861) and Mary E Kay (not sure on maiden name, b. 1861), both from Baslow. Henry was a Blacksmith.

I am basically wondering if anyone has any information (parish records, etc) relating to this family and the Loxley area. The family were very prominent in Baslow and I have already found records and information for Henry Kay and his family.

Just doing research into family history and I am keen to find out as much as possible about these people that I have never met or heard much about. It would be nice to get an idea of where my family came from and preserve some memories and information.

Thank you.

Chris Elliott.

Edited by Kay History

The Link, from Memory only:

###################

Robin Hood Farm Baslow 1780 Onwards

(There is a famed Bee Bowl + a Garden rock with Kay Graffiti on it!)

Charles Kay & Anne Greatorex

John Kay / Samuel Kay etc..... Multiple Graves in Baslow, now plus Stan Kay / Jan 2011

Henry Kay & Mary Ellen (Hawley) Kay / Buried in the derelict Methodist Chapel in Loxley

Harry Edison Kay & (Louisa Maud Fox) / (Maidstone-Glasgow) Loxley-Hillsborough-Walkley-Stannington / Harry Edison Kay - Unmarked Grave in Loxley.

Edison Kay & Kathleen Mary Grant / Walkley-Stannington

Geoffrey Kay & (Pamela Jean Smyth) / (Ireland-Aldershot-Stannington-Burncross) Stannington

Robert Grant Kay / Stannington

########################################################

Other linked names:

Henry Kay & Mary Ellen Hawley - My Great, Great, Grandparents / Blacksmith

Children: Harry Kay - Ethel (Kay) Nixon - Ida (Kay) White - Austin Kay - Percy Kay

Harry Edison Kay & Louisa Maud Fox - My Great Grandparents / Blacksmith

Children:

Edison Kay & Kathleen Mary (Grant) Kay - My Grandparents / Joiner - Charles Clifford Secretary

Louis Kay - Business Man

Violet Kay - Tailoress & Tram Conductor

Hazel Kay - Nurse

Shirley / Stan Kay - 1930-2010 - My Great Uncle / School Teacher & Postman

Geoffrey & Pamela Jean (Smyth) [Kay] Crawshaw - My Parents / Star Newspaper - Nurse

Andrew Dennis Kay & Laura (Johnson) Kay - My Brother & Sister in Law / Roofer - Boots the Chemist.

Robert Grant Kay -Me! :)########:)

Peter & Mavis (Kay) Butler - My Aunt and Uncle / Retired Medical Rep - Chiropadist

Tim & Sarah (Butler) Davies - My Cousin / IT Support - Occupational Therapist

Ian Butler - My Cousin / Electrical Lighting engineer

Other distant relative:

Carrie Eastham formerly (Nixon), Married name was Vickers.

Daughter of Austin Kay Nixon / Grandaughter of Ethel (Kay) Nixon who died in Childbirth.

Edited by Kay History
Amendments

My Grandmother Enid, died in July of this year and she left me some photographs. There is one that maybe you could help me identify? Do you have an email address (PM me it if you like and I will email it over to you).

Ida married Robert William White, as you know and had three daughters - Roma, Stella and Enid.

Enid married Dennis Elliott and had three sons - Stephen, Brian and Keith.

Brian is my father and I was born in 1983. I have a younger brother.