Vitamin B12 injections..

Has anyone had any experience having B12 shots ? my friend just started having them once a month , she says they've given her the energy back she thought she'd lost.

Is this a prescribed medical thing or a paid extra "alternative" on the side? If its under a Dr then it'll probably be fine but be careful if its just something you choose to do without consulting a GP as you can overdose on some B vitamins with nasty side effects

Is this a prescribed medical thing or a paid extra "alternative" on the side? If its under a Dr then it'll probably be fine but be careful if its just something you choose to do without consulting a GP as you can overdose on some B vitamins with nasty side effects

No this friend goes to a doctor, I don't think you can do it yourself.

Yes, this IS a prescribed medical thing. Pernicious anaemia is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 caused by the absence of the intrinsic factor which is normally secreted in the stomach. Without it, Vitamin B12 can't be absorbed by the body however much someone ingests. The only treatment is to have monthly injections for life. Without them the person would die or their life would be seriously impaired by the effects of the condition.

Yes, this IS a prescribed medical thing. Pernicious anaemia is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 caused by the absence of the intrinsic factor which is normally secreted in the stomach. Without it, Vitamin B12 can't be absorbed by the body however much someone ingests. The only treatment is to have monthly injections for life. Without them the person would die or their life would be seriously impaired by the affects of the condition.

Cool, I knew there was a condition but didn't know what it was. No, I only mentioned it as a possible non medical worry thing because I knew of someone (not in this country) who was getting some vitamins injected in some backmarket place which sounds like a very bad idea!

Archived