Anyone remember Big Albert

I drove for Sheffield Corporation in the 1960's. There was this hugh bobby who used to do traffic control at the top of Angel Street. I'm guessing that he was about 6'7" tall.

This was before they did the 'hole'. He was quite friendly but I wouldn't have wanted to get on his wrong side.

I just wondered if anybody else remembers him ?

I always new him as "Tiny" he had hands like shovels and he used to wave us through with the bus to clear the crossings for him as the bus stop was at the top of angel street then he lived around hunters bar way as he used to catch the bus to work

I always new him as "Tiny" he had hands like shovels and he used to wave us through with the bus to clear the crossings for him as the bus stop was at the top of angel street then he lived around hunters bar way as he used to catch the bus to work

The story I heard was he could hold five tennis balls in his hand?

Big Albert was Albert Bentley. The copper who could put the tennis balls in his hand was Walter Longley, one of the big five who broke up the Sheffield gangs. He ws around about forty years before Albert.

The story I heard was he could hold five tennis balls in his hand?

I quite often gave Albert a lift to work in the early morning. I was based at Townhead Street bus depot and Albert lived somewhere near me in the Hunter's Bar area. He was going down to Water Lane (or is it Water Street?) A Police Sgt that I knew (Jerry Broad) told me of an incident at the El Mambo where two men were fighting and one had a knife. Apparently Albert went in, smacked their heads together and then through them both outside onto the pavement. All the other two bobbys had to do was hold the door open. It's good that some of us are still around to remember those days. On a different topic - Do they still have a Rag Day Parade in Sheffield? Remember the fairy? He was always the biggest, hairiest student that they could find.

• 5 months later...

I had my christmas dinner up at the Bowshaw Inn near dronfield with my parents. My dad, Stan Phillips, used to work in the police at the same time as Albert Bentley. Whilst we were waiting to be seated there was an enormous guy sat with his family. My dad recognised him. It was a great pleasure to be able to shake the hand of the man that I'd heard so much about as a child, as regards to him having hands the size of shovels I was barely able to grip his hand!! I have been told many tales about the great Albert Bentley, including one of my favourites being that he single handedly arrested 5 irish drunk men and walked them to the police station and promptly locked them up for the night!!

Big Albert was Albert Bentley. The copper who could put the tennis balls in his hand was Walter Longley, one of the big five who broke up the Sheffield gangs. He ws around about forty years before Albert.

My Father was a Sheffield policeman starting late 1928 onwards he used to tell me howthe gangs were broken up i remember him talking about the five tennis balls in one hand & some of the villians of that time some had razor blades sewn in the peak of their cloth caps ready to swipe it across your face

There were some true legends in the Police, Albert was one of hem despite his massive size he was, i understand, a very good ballroom dancer. In Rotherham there was Geoff Dawson who brought in seven drunks with their ties tied together.

My Father was a Sheffield policeman starting late 1928 onwards he used to tell me howthe gangs were broken up i remember him talking about the five tennis balls in one hand & some of the villians of that time some had razor blades sewn in the peak of their cloth caps ready to swipe it across your face

• 1 month later...

Albert Bentley worked in the personnel department of Daniel Doncasters Penistone Road after he left police service. Very polite gentleman, I was a cocky apprentice in the Die shop at the time. Dies are tooling used in forging or pressing steel components. Nothing to do with colour changing or snuffing it.

Archived