Anyone remember Big Albert

Hi jack. My name is Kirsty. Albert Bentley was my father and did live at the side of the Byron. He sadly passed away August 12th 2012. He was nearly 84. Gone but reading these stories, not forgotten thank you

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 18:14 ----------

Thank you so much. My family, especially my mother have been very touched by all the kind words. I have to admit he made many a boyfriend cower when he stood up to greet them. Hopefully the rest of the family will soon have access to all these stories too. Thank you Kirsty

No problem I do think it's good to remember our loved ones even though it can be painful at first.

I actually have one more story about Albert which I told him about during our conversation at West Bar.

In my teens I hung about with mates who lived at Nether Edge (still see one of them every week) on occasion we used to go to Chelsea park for a game of football.

A gang of us were walking up there and we were just approaching the traffic light junction at Nether Edge shops.

I was leading and was looking back over my shoulder talking to my mates.

All of a sudden they all began to grin, but before I could work out what was amusing them I walked straight into a multi-story carpark which someone had apparently built across the pavement since I was last there.

Seriously, that is exactly what it felt like. When I recovered and looked up your father was looking down at me with a very slight half smile. I apologised for not looking where I was going, he nodded and went about his business.

Of course my so called mates thought it was hilarious and pulled my leg for some time. :)

Incidentally I'm six foot tall and probably weighed just over 12 stone at the time. Just a titch compared to Albert. :)

I remember Big Albert directing traffic at the top of Angel Street.

At times he found himself competing with the 'Duke of Darnall' who also used to try to direct the traffic there.

Some drivers were distracted by the 'Duke' as he. used to stand in the road in his enthusiasm.

Albert would stop all the traffic and remove the 'Duke' and send him on his way.

I do not know if it is true but the word was that Albert used to wrestle for the police.

Happy Days! PopT

Archived