Abbey Lane near Beauchief Hotel

Does anyone remember what used to stand on the site of the Sandiron House flats on Abbey Lane. (not the flats built on the site of the petrol station, but those on the Ecclesall side of Abbeydale road.

They were built around 2001. I remember there used to be a large victorian building there, but I don't know any other details about it.

I suggest you look on "picturesheffield" where there are several photos of Abbey Lane area. There are a couple showing Beauchief Hotel in its' former days and you can see the opposite corner, it's difficult to see exactly what was there but, it gives you an idea.

I have a Peter Owen Jones print of Beauchief corner there is a post office in the picture. I recall also there was hairdressers called Valerie K at one time. I remember it being as it is in the picture very well. The picture is called 'passing greetings' I love it as it takes me down memory lane!!

clearly most of you repliers have not read the original post.

That corner is not what Mike is asking about. He's asking about the section between ecclesall woods and the south west corner of the cross roads.

I seem to remember a big old dilapidated building there.

clearly most of you repliers have not read the original post.

That corner is not what Mike is asking about. He's asking about the section between ecclesall woods and the south west corner of the cross roads.

I seem to remember a big old dilapidated building there.

In which case it was Sandiron House which gave the flats their name.

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, it is the big old building just before the woods that I'm interested in. I didn't realise that it was also called Sandiron House. Just wondering if anyone has any more info about it.

It's amazing how quickly you forget what used to be there once it's gone.

Thanks for the link to the roadtrip videos

If you have the time - take a trip down to the Local History library in town within Central Library - they will have all the information you require. The librarians are very helpful.

IIRC it was offices of a company called Sandiron Limited, tacked onto a really nice early Victorian stone built detached house, with two wonderful yew topiaries at either side of the stone steps leading to the path up to the front door.

There were thousands of crocuses under the trees and on the lawn outside. There were many objections to the demolition and building of the flats at the it was first proposed.

Archived