Abbey Lane near Beauchief Hotel

IIRC it was offices of a company called Sandiron Limited, tacked onto a really nice early Victorian stone built detached house, with two wonderful yew topiaries at either side of the stone steps leading to the path up to the front door.

There were thousands of crocuses under the trees and on the lawn outside. There were many objections to the demolition and building of the flats at the it was first proposed.

Have you any idea when the building was demolished?

Have you any idea when the building was demolished?
I think mie4driving is right about the time scale. They wasted no time after receiving planning permission in demolishing and rebuilding.

I don't think they even attempted to retain the original house frontage or the front garden area which contributed so much to the street scene in that location? Pity.

IIRC it was offices of a company called Sandiron Limited, tacked onto a really nice early Victorian stone built detached house, with two wonderful yew topiaries at either side of the stone steps leading to the path up to the front door.

There were thousands of crocuses under the trees and on the lawn outside. There were many objections to the demolition and building of the flats at the it was first proposed.

That's correct rubydazzler, it was a very impressive building which stood slightly further back from the road than the flats do. Sandiron was a refractory company or more than one companies which occupied the building. I don't recall what was there before Sandiron House the company building.

I have a Peter Owen Jones print of Beauchief corner there is a post office in the picture. I recall also there was hairdressers called Valerie K at one time. I remember it being as it is in the picture very well. The picture is called 'passing greetings' I love it as it takes me down memory lane!!

Hetty,do u have any other POJones prints?

Archived