Is the bubble bursting for Universities?

Well, the universities are the ones who decide. It isn't a right to go to uni.

Some universities will take anybody who can (a) come up with the tuition fees and (b) is warm-blooded .... or in the event that (s)he's dead, doesn't smell too badly yet.

Some universities will take anybody who can (a) come up with the tuition fees and (b) is warm-blooded .... or in the event that (s)he's dead, doesn't smell too badly yet.

Yeah, Hallam for one. Like I said, they are taking someone who has no more that an NVQ onto a masters degree. That is simply about money and has nothing to do with education, I'm afraid. They are a business and need to make money.

Yeah, Hallam for one. Like I said, they are taking someone who has no more that an NVQ onto a masters degree. That is simply about money and has nothing to do with education, I'm afraid. They are a business and need to make money.

So what you are saying is that someone with a NVQ can't get the same marks/qualification as someone with A levels or a bachelor degree?

A Master's degree is a post-graduate qualification.

It's hardly unusual (and arguably it's not unrealistic, either) to require somebody who wants to do a post-graduate qualification to have a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent.) - That's why they are called 'post-graduate' qualifications.

An NVQ (unless its at level 4 or 5) is unlikely to be considered as qualification for entry to a post-graduate degree.

I think it is possible to over educate people in quite a number of courses on offer...................some which require very little real education at all!

That's not over education then, it's just time wasting.

A Master's degree is a post-graduate qualification.

It's hardly unusual (and arguably it's not unrealistic, either) to require somebody who wants to do a post-graduate qualification to have a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent.) - That's why they are called 'post-graduate' qualifications.

An NVQ (unless its at level 4 or 5) is unlikely to be considered as qualification for entry to a post-graduate degree.

Not necessarily, many engineering degree's are masters, technically it is possible to stop after the 3rd year and take the BSc, but in reality that means you haven't finished the course and won't find the qualification to be any use, MEng is what's expected and BScEng is worthless.

I agree, in essence, with Cyclone's comment that it's not possible to over-educate someone. All education and knowledge is worthwhile.

On the other hand ... we do still need people to dig roads, clean toilets and collect the dustbins every week. It's a waste of everyone's time and money if people are led to believe that better education will always lead to a better job, because there are only so many jobs out there that require degree-level education.

Not necessarily, many engineering degree's are masters, technically it is possible to stop after the 3rd year and take the BSc, but in reality that means you haven't finished the course and won't find the qualification to be any use, MEng is what's expected and BScEng is worthless.

That raises the question of whether Snook's acquaintance is taking a Master's course that lasts one year, or four.

So what you are saying is that someone with a NVQ can't get the same marks/qualification as someone with A levels or a bachelor degree?

No, I'm saying that you have no idea what marks they can get because they don't have the qualifications. Why have exams at all if you just let anybody into a degree? Just let everyone go to uni and see who passes?

That raises the question of whether Snook's acquaintance is taking a Master's course that lasts one year, or four.

I didn't ask, to be honest, I was just amazed that someone can get into a masters degree in English Lit (or something like that, it's English based) with no A-levels or a degree. Apparently it is different if you are a mature student, but I would have thought that in reality it is about money.

Archived