North Korea threatens to Nuke USA/South Korea

The North Koreans have threatened a nuclear response should joint excercises between South Korea and the USA go ahead.

I cannot imagine the USA backing down in the face of a threat from a tin pot dictatorship so interesting times might lie ahead.

So where did North Korea used to be?

The North Koreans have threatened a nuclear response should joint excercises between South Korea and the USA go ahead.

I cannot imagine the USA backing down in the face of a threat from a tin pot dictatorship so interesting times might lie ahead.

I wouldn't call a nuclear exchange interesting, especially when you consider that China has backed North Korea in a war against the Americans before; and the Chinese do have the capability to hit the American (and UK) cities with weapons in the megaton range.

We have been here before.

Remember the Cuba Crisis.

We were at 2 minutes to twelve.

Kruschev faced up to Kennedy, and Kennedy faced up to Krushev.

And we all waited.

Then it went away.

All these things are like old time religion.

They are the bogeyman to keep us in our place.

And we fall for it every time.

I wouldn't call a nuclear exchange interesting, especially when you consider that China has backed North Korea in a war against the Americans before; and the Chinese do have the capability to hit the American (and UK) cities with weapons in the megaton range.

I'm not so sure you can compare the Korean war in the early 1950s with a war started by North Korea in 2010. China may not want to see North Korea harmed (because they probably don't want to have to take in millions of North Korean refugees) but I don't see why China would want to lay itself open to a nuclear strike just to bail out the madman in Korea.

China can nuke the US but the US could nuke China too. And it could write off all its debt to China and close its markets. No winners there.

This isn't the first time Kim Jong-Il has threatened to use nuclear weapons, but he is getting a bit older and he may feel that he doesn't have much to lose.

Ther`s no way the Chinese would become involved in a free for all with America over a cesspit like North Korea.

And we all waited.

Then it went away.

Interesting view - And one that I am becoming more aligned with.

And we all waited.

Then it went away.

Kennedy and McNamara had to work hard to stop the the US military triggering an invasion of Cuba, General LeMay was spoiling for a fight and wanted to put Kennedy into a position where he had use the military option.

It's now known that the Nuclear weapons in Cuba were 'live', they were also backed up with tactical nuclear weapons which the Soviet commander had the authority to use to repel any attack. We now know that we were a lot closer to war than was generally thought at the time.

Ther`s no way the Chinese would become involved in a free for all with America over a cesspit like North Korea.

That was the consensus in 1950, right up to the point where the Chinese became involved and routed the Americans (under the UN banner), driving them out of North Korea.

Kennedy and McNamara had to work hard to stop the the US military triggering an invasion of Cuba, General LeMay was spoiling for a fight and wanted to put Kennedy into a position where he had use the military option.

It's now known that the Nuclear weapons in Cuba were 'live', they were also backed up with tactical nuclear weapons which the Soviet commander had the authority to use to repel any attack. We now know that we were a lot closer to war than was generally thought at the time.

Yes, and my grandaughter thinks that pound coin under her pillow came from the tooth fairy.

The cold war was the greatest con trick ever played.

No one ever had the slightest intention of fighting, ever.

Gorbechev was the one who showed it up in Iceland at the summit.

Reagan went full of mouth and trousers.

Gorby called his bluff and the game was up.

End of cold war.

But the Yanks and Thatcher miscalculated.

All those years the Soviets had been keeping a lid on the Muslim pressure cooker.

When they collapsed so did the lid.

We now have a hot war against a far worse enemy than communism.

A dogma that wants to reduce to a stone age level.

Give me communism any day, to that which is facing us now.

Kennedy had a pretty good go at starting WW3, but he didn't manage to pull it off...I suppose starting the Viet Nam war was a consolation prize.

I suggest that many people were well aware how close the World got to war. Both the Thor force and the V-Bombers were on 15 minute readiness during the Cuban Missile crisis. The people involved with those were in little doubt how close things got.

Archived