What did your child buy their teacher?

Seeing as it was School Fair to raise funds for a school trip to 'reward' the children for all their hard work, I sent at least £50 worth of new cosmetics and toiletries that they could sell. No thank you, just was told by son to send a box of Heroes Chocolates for the raffle and £9.50 for the school trip plus 'no more than £6 but not less than £3 spending money'. Must be some nice smelling teachers out there this summer! I'm not getting them drunk and fat as well.

I dont get this buying pressies for them....

I don't either, if it was up to me they'd get nowt, but it ain't, my kids do it of there own backs. I tell them every year not to bother, that teachers don't teach for the money or the tips and gifts, they do purely because they love to impart knowledge.

Didn't buy my daughter's teacher anything. We usually do, a little bit of Lush or something, but the teacher she had for the last two months of this school year was rubbish. The teacher she started the school year with decided to leave mid term and the one that took over was useless. Not just my opinion but the opinion of about 80% of the parents.

It's a whole new industry. Gives retailers something to flog, in between Fathers Day and Back to School, which seems to start weeks before they break up.

Completely agree! If a child feels the teacher has done something extra for them and really wants to say thank you, I think a handmade note with a nice message means 1000x's time more to a teacher than any gift.

I've seen teachers reduced to tears from a lovely message. One I know keeps all their notes; she is exceptional with the support she gives children and their families so she gets a lot :hihi: She's the one that always spots the unhappy or scared child and has a way with them that not many people in this world have :) Five years down the line they write her some of the most heartfelt notes of thanks that don't cost anything but thought and you can see how much she has impacted on their lives.

Didn't buy my daughter's teacher anything. We usually do, a little bit of Lush or something, but the teacher she had for the last two months of this school year was rubbish. The teacher she started the school year with decided to leave mid term and the one that took over was useless. Not just my opinion but the opinion of about 80% of the parents.

Did you sit in on the lessons and watch in order to reach this conclusion?

Completely agree! If a child feels the teacher has done something extra for them and really wants to say thank you, I think a handmade note with a nice message means 1000x's time more to a teacher than any gift.

I've seen teachers reduced to tears from a lovely message. One I know keeps all their notes; she is exceptional with the support she gives children and their families so she gets a lot :hihi: She's the one that always spots the unhappy or scared child and has a way with them that not many people in this world have :) Five years down the line they write her some of the most heartfelt notes of thanks that don't cost anything but thought and you can see how much she has impacted on their lives.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Completely agree! Soemone I know, and his wife, are both teachers, and each year they come home with countless mugs, key rings, chocolates etc - but the things they value most and the cards made by the pupils, complete with heartfelt thanks.

Did you sit in on the lessons and watch in order to reach this conclusion?

No. The conclusion was reached by observing her interaction with both pupils and parents over a period of time. As said previously, it wasn't MY opinion but the opinion of a great many people. Alright?:rolleyes:

Archived