Can I drive my Bora without the clutch working.

A piece of plastic or something has broken behind my clutch pedal, now once the clutch has been pressed it will not come back up.

The car is parked in an awkward spot and I cant seem to find any mobile mechanics who can come and sort it out, so instead of getting it towed can it be driven to a local garage.

I have seen a few videos on youtube where they put it in 1st gear before starting the car and then seem to change gears without a clutch.

it can be done by 'matching the revs' as you drive. As the cogs slow or speed up on your accelerator there is a split second when the cogs are exactly in line. This can be felt by gently moving the gear stick without the clutch. The new gear should then 'slip in' easily. It's handy to be able to do in case your clutch goes. Once your car stops though it's not so easy though I'm told you use the starter motor in first gear in which the car leaps forward as you rev. practice makes perfect :)

Further to pspabuser's post:

Put the car in 1st or 2nd (Boras are pretty new and should be able to start in 2nd - this will also be less of a jolt) and turn the key - it might take a couple of tries, but once you've got it rolling, you should be fine.

Alternately: slip the gear lever into neutral and start the engine, then get a push (or if possible a roll down a hill) and when you've got some speed up, gently try to push the lever into 2nd. If it won't go, gradually increase the revs till it does. If it still won't go, try the same thing with 1st, then get up speed and try for 2nd again.

If you've not got far to go, 2nd gear should get you all the way - just make sure you plan your route well to avoid traffic lights, junctions & crossings as much as possible and - where unavoidable - give yourself a nice, slow run up to give the lights a chance to go green or the junction to clear.

If you do want to change gear, here's how:

To go up a gear, simply pull the lever out of your current gear into neutral, then press it against the next gear up - release the acellerator completely and when the engine revs slow down to match the gear you've chosen, the gear stick should pop in.

To gear down, put the stick into neutral, press it against the next gear down and then rev the engine intil it pops in.

To stop, pick a spot near the garage and aim for it, then put the stick back into neutral, drift in, brake & stop.

Apologies if you already got all this from pspabuser, I just wanted to write a fuller description.

Good luck.

Bob

Archived