England best in The World

It's a very good read. There is enough in there to form many arguments. :)

I think and write about this topic.

As for Artisan's OP ...

I think, that the reason why people think this, is because there aren't many countries that we can go to for a more affluent life [for the average person, anyhow], hence it's believed [whether right or wrong] that we [and perhaps USA too] are supreme. ;)

This ^^ is also why we see the thousands of threads about people wanting to get here.

My argument is almost always the same. Whether or not you want people coming here, their reasons can't be faulted. Living in a lifestyle better than your present one is what many people strive for, and yet, people who want to come here get abuse and whatnot. Most are doing what I would consider to be a human logical reasonable action.

For example, if someone told me that I could do my own job, and earn 10 times more if I went and did it in USA [for example] ... I'd be one of those hiding in trucks, or in undercarriages. :hihi:

(come to that, I'd go there now for the same money:))

Ha! careful now lest you incur the wrath of artisan :hihi:

Ha! careful now lest you incur the wrath of artisan :hihi:

:hihi::hihi:

He doesn't come on too much at these times I think. I know the night posters from long experience. :hihi:

I'll have to incur the wrath tomorrow whilst eating my Sunday roast :love:.

Is this a serious Q) or a joke?

Personally, I thought it was a smidgen of joke with a sprinkling of seriousness. Still, I think an interesting topic (then again, most times that I think this, the thread is locked within 10 minutes or no one answers after me :suspect::hihi:)

I know you're going to ask "If you have such a negative attitude why the hell are you on this forum?"

The fact is I enjoy a lot of the discussions with people who have a degree of intelligence. My friends here aren't interested in history and couldn't care less about England.

I'm probably a nasty old guy at times some would say and I sometimes I lie awake at night grieving over it but what to do eh? :D

I'm quite sure that I've argued with you [so that makes me intelligent :D], though in all sincerity, I think that is a good reason to post. :P:hihi:

buck, harleyman and poppins don't want to be english and wish they were still here. In fact they're trying to keep it quiet that they ever were. oh, wait ... I blew their cover. D'oh! ;)

:hihi: Some ones been drinking I see :hihi:

Can anyone defy this?

If not why not?

Why does everyone want to be English,or to to have an English nationality.

All expats wish they had never left

And all asians wish they had been born here.

Apart from our being the best people in the world, what makes us better than all others?

England are the best at dishing out benefits in the world! That is why everone wants to be here.

Only 'England' (or rather the tripe they spout in the press) thinks we are the best in the world at anything. I think the run up to the world cup via the press (we are going to win it etc) & then the reality of the performance just about summed it up to me.

We were a world class country during the industrial revolution & it's been downhill ever since. We can't even aspire to be the USA's puppet anymore, with India & China queing up to form a special relationship with them for economic benefits......we can't even fulfill that role anymore.....burdened with massive state debt, dwindling armed forces & wanting to pull out of Afganistan etc.

England are the best at dishing out benefits in the world! That is why everone wants to be here.

Only 'England' (or rather the tripe they spout in the press) thinks we are the best in the world at anything. I think the run up to the world cup via the press (we are going to win it etc) & then the reality of the performance just about summed it up to me.

We were a world class country during the industrial revolution & it been downhill ever since. We can't even aspire to be the USA's puppet anymore, with India & China queing up to form a special relationship with them for economic benefits......we can't even fulfill that role anymore.....burdened with massive state debt, dwindling armed forces & wanting to pull out of Afganistan etc.

You forgot to mention you're the life and soul of the party.:roll:

Perfect example of how to talk yourself into a roll.

You've not discussed this with any Australians have you?

Yes I have, I sailed out of Sydney for two years.

Every Aussie, like every Yankee, wants to be English.

They shout and bawl all they want, about whinging Pohme's, but get them in their cups and they start blubbering about England.

Take them to an English pub and they are amazed.

But after a few days I imagine their eyes open to the fact it is a big a **** hole as the country they just left.

Everything is relative.

You forgot to mention you're the life and soul of the party.:roll:

Perfect example of how to talk yourself into a roll.

Yep & you'll end up the manic depressive! Everything is a bed of roses isn't it eh?

Being a 'realist' rather than an 'eternal optimist' means that things go as you would expect instead of the nasty little shocks that always happen to the 'eternal optimists'!

You keep on partying mate!

Why does everyone want to be English,or to to have an English nationality.

There are probably more than one or two British people who would take exception at being called 'English', so I'm not sure why the OP thinks everybody wants to be English.

I'm not sure that many of the people who live in the UK particularly want British Nationality for that matter - You don't need it to work, to draw benefits, to vote or even to commit crime. Wasn't there a recent survey which suggested that large numbers of people considered themselves to belong primarily to a religious group or to an ethnic group and then finally - if at all - to be British?

People migrate. People have always migrated. I doubt that very many are drawn to the UK by the weather, so presumably there are other reasons why they feel they will be better off in the UK than where they came from. Financial migration is a well-understood reason. In some countries, people are under (at least some) pressure to adapt to (or at least comply with) the morés and customs of the host community. - They may not be required to give up all their own traditions and customs, but they will be expected to make an attempt to integrate and if they fail to do so, they will be unwelcome (and possibly even asked to leave.)

AFAIK; that does not happen in the UK.

Some countries monitor who lives where and take an interest in how people obtain the wherewithal to live. (For some strange reason, we don't see very many Pikeys around here. - There's no law which prevents them from camping [in the same campsites which are used by other people and paying the same camping fees the other people pay] but they - just like everybody else - are required to register their presence and obtain an income tax number.

AFAIK, that does not happen in the UK, either.

And we have paved drives, not drives covered poorly with tarmac. ;)

Archived