Are Judges on the same planet as the rest of us?

Does anyone find it odd that luck has a lot to do with your sentence? For instance: Two young ladies Alice and Bertha get really drunk on an icy night and, stupidly, drive (separately) to their homes. They both end up skidding on the ice and crashing into a tree on their way. The only difference between their circumstances is that there was a 5 year old girl standing in front of Alice's tree when she crashed into it.

It seems to me that Alice and Bertha were acting equally irresponsibly, yet there will be a huge difference in punishment due to luck/unluck.

P.S. I'm not making an argument here, just an interesting observation! It raises the fundamental issue of what the purpose of punishment is.

He has the knowledge that he has killed two innocent people by his actions. If he shows remorse and is prepared to offer reparation, is it necessary to punish him more?

Maybe someone who is a contributor to our society should be treatd more leniently.

If that is the case, or does become the case; I would hope that our 'society' crumbles and self destructs with all possible speed, for it would not be a society worth keeping ... where convenience and profit are put ahead of truth and justice.

He has the knowledge that he has killed two innocent people by his actions. If he shows remorse and is prepared to offer reparation, is it necessary to punish him more?

That's fine if you are going to treat everyone the same under those circumstances. The implication in the ruling is that he was given special considration because of his social status.

Archived