Work problem, I need help

Heres the deal. I work for a large retail chain on the outskirts of Rotherham and there is a staff member who is for want of a better workd corrupt!

She is bullying junior members of staff into breaking the law and filling out finance applictions using false names. I want to report her but i dont want my friend to lose his job. Has anyone got any advice?

get a union involved or the police

Having said that if its stopped now then no one else (my friend included) will get dragged any deeper into her sordid dealings.

That's certainly the advice I would give. It may lead to your friend facing charges, since the law does not allow "I was bullied into it" as a defence. (In hindsight, what he should have done was to ask for a written request to do whatever it was that was illegal. Hindsight's 20/20.)

However, failing to act now is almost certain to make things worse and not better.

To clarify my friend is the one being bullied by a senior member of staff who abuses her authority. You are quite right about there been no written proof that the senior staff member is involved in any way as she is far too clever for that.

Im concerned that when it does come to light the only one taking the fall will be my friend as he has put his name to a fraudulent application. Having said that if its stopped now then no one else (my friend included) will get dragged any deeper into her sordid dealings.

Knowing that the law is being broken and doing nothing about it makes you as bad as the person coercing others to break the law and equally as liable to prosecution..

It would be better if you could persuade your friend into reporting the matter, instead of you doing it for them.

That way, at least they'll get some credit for calling a halt to the fraud, even if they are still held to be guilty for committing it in the first place.

From the sounds of it, whatever happens your friend's going to be in bother, but they're likely to be treated more leniently if they own up themselves, rather than being reported by somebody else.

How is the bully who asked for the false applications benefiting from it? Surely if they are the ones getting the benefits, it will be easy for the head office or police to work out, particluarly if other staff will back the allegations up.

Like others said the best way out is for your friend to report this himself. You mentioned bullying of junior members of staff into doing this. They should collectively go forward. What I'm at a loss with is just how does this person manage to bully people into committing fraud?

Archived