Does this happen to girls in england?

(female genital mutilation)

Now its a school holiday parents can have this done to their young daughters so they have enough time to get better enough to walk, before school starts again.

I wanted to know if anyone knows if it happens in sheffield?

It makes very horrific reading or anyone, but particulary for females.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting

I seem to remember that the attitude of social services used to be that dissuasion was the way to go, rather than criminalising the parents/extended family. I don't know if this has changed over the last decade?

To me, it's child sexual abuse. There is no religious mandate at all. Like the burqa, it's just another a cultural restriction of females. Any parents who do this to their daughters should be prosecuted.

To me, it's child sexual abuse. There is no religious mandate at all. Like the burqa, it's just another a cultural restriction of females. Any parents who do this to their daughters should be prosecuted.

Its all done in secret and girls are sometimes taken over seas to have it done. People should let the police know if they think this is happening in their neigborhood

British girls undergo horror of genital mutilation despite tough laws

Female circumcision will be inflicted on up to 2,000 British schoolgirls during the summer holidays – leaving brutal physical and emotional scars. Yet there have been no prosecutions against the practice

The Observer 25/7/10

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jul/25/female-circumcision-children-british-law

this has made me really really upset and angry! thats all i can say as im shocked that the people that do this actually seem to think this is a good idea!

it IS unneccesarry and if any parent puts their child through a medical procedure for no good reason then they should be prosecuted

i know its not the same but people who have (not sure have is the right word) Munchausen by proxy syndrome can be prosecuted for subjecting their children to unneccesarry medical procedures so these people should be too!

Archived