Does this happen to girls in england?

female mutilation is happening here and is widespread. nothing is done about it because nobody cares enough to stop it. as a social worker if you raise the issue and make a fuss you lose your job. multiculturalism in action, what a shame.

female mutilation is happening here and is widespread. nothing is done about it because nobody cares enough to stop it. as a social worker if you raise the issue and make a fuss you lose your job. multiculturalism in action, what a shame.

If you have evidence of it happening, report it to the police, that will place no pressure on your employment.

What annoys me most when I read about this, or see documentaries about this, is that it is always the women holding down the girls whilst they are mutilated.

This is evidence that there is some form of twisted Stockholm Syndrome going on here, where women can only come to terms with their own mutilation, by convincing them that it is good for them, and in turn having it done to their children.

I don't underestimate the role religion plays either (as the C4 programme Qur'an highlighted two years ago), or accept the casual dismissals from those that frequently claim "that's not my religion". Religion is the main reason these women eventually manage to delude themselves that what has been done to them is for their own good.

Any woman in the UK that chooses to wear the uniform of submission is effectively, if inadvertently, choosing to provide support for the people that perform this barbaric act imho.

What annoys me most when I read about this, or see documentaries about this, is that it is always the women holding down the girls whilst they are mutilated.

This is evidence that there is some form of twisted Stockholm Syndrome going on here, where women can only come to terms with their own mutilation, by convincing them that it is good for them, and in turn having it done to their children.

I don't underestimate the role religion plays either (as the C4 programme Qur'an highlighted two years ago), or accept the casual dismissals from those that frequently claim "that's not my religion". Religion is the main reason these women eventually manage to delude themselves that what has been done to them is for their own good.

Any woman in the UK that chooses to wear the uniform of submission is effectively, if inadvertently, choosing to provide support for the people that perform this barbaric act imho.

It is a matriarchal practice within a patriarchal framework as without it, these girls would be unmarriageable, so their mothers and grandmothers genuinely do believe that it is in their grand/daughters' best interests, otherwise they face the ignominy of being shunned and treated a outcasts for being unclean and unable to guarantee their honour (ie virginity). It is the commodification of women at its worst, IMO.

It is bizarre isn't it? They must see it as some rite of passage or initiation, daft buggers.

I don't even believe it's as complicated as that, it's just something they do without too much analysis.

I'd like to believe that any girls in the UK who have had this carried out will become emancipated through their positive experiences of Western culture and never allow their own daughters to be subjected to this barbarity.

It is bizarre isn't it? They must see it as some rite of passage or initiation, daft buggers.

I don't even believe it's as complicated as that, it's just something they do without too much analysis.

I'd like to believe that any girls in the UK who have had this carried out will become emancipated through their positive experiences of Western culture and never allow their own daughters to be subjected to this barbarity.

It's an interesting hypothesis and there may be some truth in it. It is a more drastic and permanent 'solution' to the chastity belt which also fulfils another purpose, as Alastair highlighted, of guaranteeing paternity and controlling women's sexual autonomy, IMO.

It's an interesting hypothesis and there may be some truth in it. It is a more drastic and permanent 'solution' to the chastity belt which also fulfils another purpose, as Alastair highlighted, of guaranteeing paternity and controlling women's sexual autonomy, IMO.

Yes, I agree. No doubt the people who prescribe this 'treatment' can provide superficially convincing reasons for it, but the tentacles of their influence will diminish over time. I know it doesn't address the current problem, but I just don't know how it can be dealt with effectively by the criminal justice system, like many forms of child or domestic abuse I guess.

Influencing opinions from within and education has to be the way forward-intelligent, empowered girls will grow up to become women who will be more difficult to challenge by domineering men.

The bold bit doesn't make much sense.

I assume you mean anyone who subscribes to the muslim faith and does this is not being a good muslim as defined by the muslamic laws etc?

I missed a word out sorry, it should read =

"any muslims doing this are not true muslims".

Its nothing to do with religion ?I would lay money that the majority if not all the victims are muslim..can you explain that fact then

Well you wouldn't be wrong there would you Sherlock? If it is associated with religion then why is not happening all over the world to people who practice this faith.

I thought it was more prominent in African countries.

Yes, I agree. No doubt the people who prescribe this 'treatment' can provide superficially convincing reasons for it, but the tentacles of their influence will diminish over time. I know it doesn't address the current problem, but I just don't know how it can be dealt with effectively by the criminal justice system, like many forms of child or domestic abuse I guess.

Influencing opinions from within and education has to be the way forward-intelligent, empowered girls will grow up to become women who will be more difficult to challenge by domineering men.

It's a highly complex situation as if a woman is marketable only if she has had this abomination carried out on her, she needs to have and be aware of other options and in the immediate term that would mean marrying outside her culture or not marrying at all. I would also like to think that there will be change from within, however, one should never underestimate community and cultural pressures.

It's not just domineering men, it's the elder women who are acting as agents to maintain the status quo. A child has no ability to challenge this and it will probably take at least a couple of generations before there is a significant shift in attitude, unless the government starts to enforce the Act.

I read somewhere (and need to try and search for the link) that a significant percentage of men within the cultures where FGM is a pre-requisite for a woman to be married, who have had sex with non-FGM'd women find the latter preferable. Only when men are prepared to be vocal about this and start to become the norm will there be any kind of reform. As the law is on their side (however, I stress that it also needs to be implemented rather than languish on some statute book), it may precipitate change in the same way that domestic violence is no longer acceptable nor considered a private matter.

Archived