Speed Cameras To Be Switched Off Due To Spending Cuts.

And I'll wave back when you get a £60 FPN and 3 points!

Coo-eee!

Don't forget to tell your insurance company you're a convicted criminal!

No you won't, as I learn from mistakes, been caught before, now I look out for mobiles, police cars and Gatso's.

Remember, 10 to 2! Never stray from it, that would make you a terrible driver.

That you enjoy being a criminal?

edit: i'm serious - i don't know what point you are trying to make, it appears to be that it is ok for you to break the law, but not other people who you believe are driving dangerously

I'm sorry, you are obviously trying to put words in my mouth. Where have I ever said it's not ok for people to drive dangerously? That's their choice, if they choose to drive dangerously then it's up to them.

I speed, but in a safe manner, I speed on dual carriageways, motorways etc. I don't speed in built up residential areas.

How have you managed to come to the conclusion that I am a criminal?

The person doing 35 is breaking the law. Not sure why you think they should be let off with it. Well, I am sure why - it is because you by your own admission do it regularly, which seems to change your usually harsh attitude towards criminals.

There's no wonder he breaks the speed limit on a regular basis, on the "Best places to move to in Sheffield" thread he said this.

Best Areas

Wortley

Harley

Wentworth

Never been in Sheffield, he obviously ain't got a clue where he's going when he's moonlighting as a Van and Man for hire. It's also a good way of dodging those pesky DHSS inspectors.

Speeding does not equate to driving dangerously. One can be speeding whilst driving perfectly safe if the driver is driving to the road conditions, prevailing weather conditions, consideration to traffic density and other road hazards. One can be driving within the speed limit and be much more dangerous if they do not take any of that into account and they are a poor driver. Poor drivers should be targetted, regardless of their speed.

As ive said before - im in favour of returning to police officers patroling the roads ,to catch bad drivers ,as they can see the difference between a driver completly in control of his car ,driving very safely , and no danger to anyone , who is doing 35 in a 30 zone compared to the lunatic who is bang on the speed limit ,BUT is tail gateing , cutting people up and overtaking on blind bends , who is a fatsl accident waiting to happen .

You know what, in over 25 years of driving I've never seen this. A lunatic who sticks to the speed limit and disregards everything else.

Exceeding the speed limit is normally the first thing to go, the other driving habits tend to follow in quick succession.

• 1 month later...

Just to add to the debate, apparently now The AA are warning that the switching off of speed cameras will risk lives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11192585

I don't believe it myself. In the Swindon example, how long do we give it before we say the speed camera switch off either has or hasn't had an effect? If there is no significant increase in accidents after 4-5 years, do we carry on saying "but there might be some more accidents next year because they're gone"?

Oxfordshire speeding increase after cameras turned off Speed cameras in Oxford were switched off on 31 July The number of drivers speeding past Oxfordshire's deactivated speed cameras has increased by up to 88%, a road safety partnership claim.

Thames Valley's Safer Road Partnership monitored drivers on two roads in the county for five days.

The cameras were axed at the end of July after the county council withdrew £600,000 in funding due to budget cuts.

Road charity Brake said it was "extremely concerned".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-10929488

More criminal behaviour on the roads, not good.

Oxfordshire speeding increase after cameras turned off Speed cameras in Oxford were switched off on 31 July The number of drivers speeding past Oxfordshire's deactivated speed cameras has increased by up to 88%, a road safety partnership claim.

Thames Valley's Safer Road Partnership monitored drivers on two roads in the county for five days.

The cameras were axed at the end of July after the county council withdrew £600,000 in funding due to budget cuts.

Road charity Brake said it was "extremely concerned".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-10929488

More criminal behaviour on the roads, not good.

The article didn't mention anyone being killed or seriously injured. So how is Criminal Law being broken?

Archived