Speed Cameras To Be Switched Off Due To Spending Cuts.

A lot of anti-speed-camera people are going to look very silly if so. The only argument I ever heard against them was that they are money-making machines.

Isn't the issue here that central government get the fines but local government is responsible for the cameras' upkeep etc.etc.....?

All 72 fixed speed cameras in Oxfordshire are likely to be switched off due to government spending cuts ,and this move could be repeated all over the country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/speed-cameras-safety-warnings-oxford

I think this is a fantastic move for every driver in the country.

These cameras are just revenue generators , and there to fleece the already taxed to death motorists.

come on Sheffield council , follow the lead of Oxfordshire ,and for once do the right thing and get rid of these yellow menaces.

This just proves that the cameras cost more to run than they bring in via speeding fines!

I like it how Cameron has decided to switch them off in wealthy Oxfordshire first! Soddin toff!!

Will never happen by force. It would infringe human rights, hence they wouldn't be able to do it.

I hope you're right.

As for the cameras being shut off, good. Now they just need to get rid of mobiles and all will be good in the world of driving.

You're definitely right :D

This just proves that the cameras cost more to run than they bring in via speeding fines!

I like it how Cameron has decided to switch them off in wealthy Oxfordshire first! Soddin toff!!

It dosn`t matter where it starts . lets hope this breath of fresh air and brilliant idea spreads nationwide .

Speed cameras raise revenue from criminals. I don't understand why limited funds don't mean more speed cameras. They're self-funding, paid for by the fines meted out to idiots.

They've been proven to reduce accidents, check out Linda Mountain's work at the University of Liverpool:

http://autotraderblog.co.uk/2008/09/10/how-many-lives-are-speed-cameras-saving/

I think it’s not reasonable to say 100 lives per year are being saved.

# Evidence from Swindon showed a 30 per cent reduction in the numbers of people killed or injured since cameras were installed

# At 10 of the sites in Swindon where cameras were introduced, no road accident deaths have been recorded

I find myself nowadays not even being bothered if it saves lives - if you get fined for breaking the law, and provably so too, then either stop breaking the law, or pay up and shut up. Either way, stop whinging about it!

Well, quite.

""The Government hit back at speed camera critics today by publishing figures showing the devices were considerably reducing deaths and serious injuries. Produced by University College London, the statistics showed that deaths and serious injuries had fallen by an average of 40 per cent at camera sites in the three years to mid-2003."

This was the equivalent of 100 fewer deaths a year - a figure hailed by Transport Secretary Alistair Darling, and safety and environment groups.

The BBC headed this story:

GOOD NEWS FOR MOTORISTS!

Delete "motorists", insert "criminals".

Fines for graffiti or urinating in the street aren't a "stealth tax" and can easily be avoided by not <removed> in Gregg's Baker's window.

Same with speeding.

If the speed cameras are revenue raisers as some claim, then surely this tax is the easiest one to avoid paying. You don't really need to hire an accountant to advise you on how not to pay what I think should be known as the stupid tax.

Archived