Are tea & coffee addictive?

I've been trying to cut them out of my diet but, although I've managed to cut down the amount I drink quite a lot, I can't stop one or two cups a day. I've started drinking more green tea as a replacement but it doesn't sort out that craving for ordinary tea (or when I'm real tired, coffee).

Does anyone else feel like this, or can you just take it or leave it? Am I just addicted and need to go cold turkey? :suspect:

Caffeine is quite addictive, the withdrawal symptoms are mild though and will only last a day or two if you just cut it out altogether.

I have managed to go a couple days without, about two weeks ago, but then I still had the urge one morning for a strong coffee... could it just be all in my mind and nothing physical?

The physical addiction is as Cyclone describes. Any mental desire to taste tea or coffee could reoccur at any time.

I tend to want coffee about twice a week, which clearly can't be a physical craving; but I get awfully cranky if I'm not allowed to fire up the percolator! :hihi:

The physical addiction is as Cyclone describes. Any mental desire to taste tea or coffee could reoccur at any time.

I tend to want coffee about twice a week, which clearly can't be a physical craving; but I get awfully cranky if I'm not allowed to fire up the percolator! :hihi:

So how do you get rid of the mental cravings? I hate the thought that I need anything, I want to be able to completely control what I stick in my gob. :|

So how do you get rid of the mental cravings? I hate the thought that I need anything, I want to be able to completely control what I stick in my gob. :|

I don't know of any better way than just refusing to give in to them. Paul McKenna-style books might help some people, but I've never put any faith in them myself.

I've been trying to cut them out of my diet but, although I've managed to cut down the amount I drink quite a lot, I can't stop one or two cups a day. I've started drinking more green tea as a replacement but it doesn't sort out that craving for ordinary tea (or when I'm real tired, coffee).

Does anyone else feel like this, or can you just take it or leave it? Am I just addicted and need to go cold turkey? :suspect:

I too was addicted to coffee in particular. I merely substituted it for a double G and T, such that whenever I feel like a coffee I have a G and T and it worked very well.

Remember that there is caffeine in chocolate as well, as well as many soft drinks.

Caffeine is quite addictive, the withdrawal symptoms are mild though and will only last a day or two if you just cut it out altogether.

From a personal perspective I would agree with this ..I suppose we all have individual tolerance levels though.

Archived