Are tea & coffee addictive?

I have had a constant dull headache for the past couple of days, I never attributed it to cutting down on caffeine.

I'm trying to give it up because I have to have at least half a teaspoon of sugar in it, also because I don't like the idea of my body being dependant on something, even something as innocuous as caffeine.

I'm not sure that this is entirely rational.

What next, give up oxygen, food and water?

I've been trying to cut them out of my diet but, although I've managed to cut down the amount I drink quite a lot, I can't stop one or two cups a day. I've started drinking more green tea as a replacement but it doesn't sort out that craving for ordinary tea (or when I'm real tired, coffee).

Does anyone else feel like this, or can you just take it or leave it? Am I just addicted and need to go cold turkey? :suspect:

I don't drink either through choice. In the last five years I would say I probably have had coffee three or four times & that was because I was unwell & for some peculiar reason was craving coffee :suspect:

I have worked with people who drink tea & coffee especially tea as if they were in a pub. Cup after cup. I personally don't get it but there must be a liking/addiction to them.

I'm not sure that this is entirely rational.

What next, give up oxygen, food and water?

I wouldn't go that far Cyclone. Oxygen, water and food are essentials; caffeine is a substance that you can choose to put into your body or not and I don't want to be dependant on it. I find myself feeling more tired when I don't drink coffee for a couple of days and I've noticed a constant headache recently which suggests some kind of dependency is there. I don't think it's entirely irrational to want to be free of it.

That's a good idea, maybe I can trick my body into thinking it's still getting caffeine... the mind is a powerful thing. I guess I could swap the sugar for honey as well.

Why not just cut out sugar? I can't imagine what tea and coffee will taste like laced with honey.

... Am I just addicted and need to go cold turkey? :suspect:

Cold Turkey won't work. - There's no caffeine in turkey.:(

There's more caffeine in tea than there is in coffee and although 'decaf' coffee was (allegedly) 'good for you' a few years ago, that's gone out of favour because the decaffeination process increases the sodium levels significantly:hihi::hihi:.

Caffeine is an alkaloid, so it is addictive.

Air is not an alkaloid, but it too seems to be addictive.

Archived