Do you need signs for cctv?

we are getting cctv installed at business premises. do you need signs for cctv? i heard you need for the data protection act?

Yes you do need to provide notification that CCTV is being used, If not you will not be able to use the images in a court of law.

You also have a time limit as to how long you can keep the images, also if you are using covert cameras you need to have them approved and have the Ok from the local police.

Hope this helps

right. silly police asked for cameras to be installed so i am getting a £4000 system put in but they never specified that there was different types.

all i asked for was colour, infra red ones so that i can see in dark , vandal proof , and water proof. what are covert cameras? just not hidden ones?

what is the time limit? i think my new system is 30 day rolling and if you need a clip. it will record it to dvd for you.

re the data protection act. it seems i cannot just let me have free access to recorded cctv so if they police requests for clips. not to sound like i am obstructing the law but i must make them fill in a request form? where can i get a template?

to be honest , last time i had an issue (crime committed outside ) they came out quick and first thing they asked was whether if i had cctv . which i didnt as it only covered it internally but not external . as soon as they found out they seemed to just didnt want to seem to know about the crime .

Yes you do need to provide notification that CCTV is being used, If not you will not be able to use the images in a court of law.

I wish people would stop saying things like this when they have no basis for it.

Please ignore this advice. CCTV, surveillance footage, and footage from people following others with cameras is used absolutely all the time in Court. I had a client who told me he could never bend because of his bad back filmed by Defendants building a wall. He had no idea they were filming him. Perfectly admissable.

At the end of the day, a Judge won't give even the slightest thought to allowing it in "the interests of justice", no matter how much it might screw up my client's case!!

right. silly police asked for cameras to be installed so i am getting a £4000 system put in but they never specified that there was different types.

all i asked for was colour, infra red ones so that i can see in dark , vandal proof , and water proof. what are covert cameras? just not hidden ones?

what is the time limit? i think my new system is 30 day rolling and if you need a clip. it will record it to dvd for you.

Your System seems a bit expensive, yes your time limit is 31 days and if you are using a DVR you will progam it so that after 30 days it starts to record over day 1 events unless there is an incident.

I have a DVR with 2 x 240Ghb drives at home which I used before I left Yorkshire and now thankfully dont have to use. I use it together with the Infra Red floodlight to watch the wildlife over night not the kind of wild life I was used to.

What are you getting for £4000 it seems 2 much.

If you want any help with your quote PM me, and I am not looking to give you a different quote ( Living in Inverness) but I might know a few people who might be able to help in your area.

Archived