Australia - Work permit?

The important bit is that with a Working Holiday Visa, you can only stay with any one employer for 6 months. You then have to move to another employer.

If you want to stay with one employer for more than 6 months, you can't use this visa.

You also talk about being on the skills shortage list ...

You need to be aware that Australia is a problem for needing Australian certification before being allowed to work in many trades e.g. electrician, plumber, builder etc.

spot on.

Be aware that the cost of living in Oz at the moment is considerably higher than the UK in most instances.

wrong. If anything its virtually the same. Fuel is cheaper tho, aprox half the price compared to the uk.

If you are just going for 6 - 12 months you only need a Working Holiday Visa.

The skills shortages apply if you are wanting to go either for a number of years or move there permanently

again correct.

Don't go to Australia, its full of australians. If you do go make it sunshine coast or goldcoast.

Cost of living in australia translates as higher however if you like making money more than you like spending it australia will cash you up faster than britain.

beats britain thats full of... errrm... ;):D

second part is right tho. Im actually on the lowest payscale in my job yet I am earning more than I have in the uk as a manager... so im sitting quite comfortably right now.

One thing that everyone has forgotten is its the lifestyle you come out here for. Everyplace has its positives and negatives but the whole environment and peoples attitudes are just so relaxed.

best decision I have ever made!

What's the economy like in Oz right now? I've been looking at Indeed.com.au for jobs in IT (database, web development) and there are a fair few around that seem to pay well.

Apartments in the centre of Brisbane are costly though, £1,400 per month rent. Does that include furniture usually?

There's a fair bit of uncertainty with a new mining supertax being talked of and an upcoming general election. They didn't suffer quite so badly in the 'global financial crisis' as with many aspects of the life there, they're fairly isolated.

There's a fair bit of uncertainty with a new mining supertax being talked of and an upcoming general election. They didn't suffer quite so badly in the 'global financial crisis' as with many aspects of the life there, they're fairly isolated.

yeah... personally I think the super tax is a good idea and would be good for the economy.

The election... well their polititions..... they are the same anywhere in the world and if I had the option I wouldnt vote... but I have to.. so I guess I have to take an interest in what they say! :hihi:

Job wise I have found to be fairly boyant. I had no problems securing work as did my girlfriend. My ex bro in law was also in IT and found it easy getting contracted work... he was an oracle DB and was on $150k. his work, Fujistu, have just given him a year off to travel.

house sales are very quick. we have had properties sold within 2 days. have a look on http://www.realestate.com to get an idea of what your money can buy you or what you can get to rent.

have a look on http://www.seek.com.au for jobs as thats the main one thats used over here.

yeah... personally I think the super tax is a good idea and would be good for the economy.

The election... well their polititions..... they are the same anywhere in the world and if I had the option I wouldnt vote... but I have to.. so I guess I have to take an interest in what they say! :hihi:

Job wise I have found to be fairly boyant. I had no problems securing work as did my girlfriend. My ex bro in law was also in IT and found it easy getting contracted work... he was an oracle DB and was on $150k. his work, Fujistu, have just given him a year off to travel.

house sales are very quick. we have had properties sold within 2 days. have a look on http://www.realestate.com to get an idea of what your money can buy you or what you can get to rent.

have a look on http://www.seek.com.au for jobs as thats the main one thats used over here.

Thanks,

How easy is it for a foreigner to get a 6 month contract in IT? I know in America, the company has to prove that the position was open to Americans first and nobody was able to do the job before a foreigner can come in. That means its pretty impossible.

Is Oz more flexible? Is there a lack of SQL Server / ASP.NET developers there do you know?

Archived