Cars over-crammed full of children?

Today I saw a car whizzing past me on London Road (S7) with at least 5 young kids in the back- who were not even strapped in anyway!!

I didn't get the reg plate, so didn't call the cops (I have done before though), so won't describe the driver, for fear of getting this post deleted. ;)

Not only is this action illegal, but don't these idiotic, braindead and uncaring "parents" need a damned good [metaphorical?] slapping?

Or is this dangerous and child abuse now the acceptable social norm, like bus-''queue'' jumping and people generally not using manners?

I hate seeing this sort of thing. It angers me that they have kids yet they would put them at risk, my daughter likes to play up when I put her in the car seat but she settles down when she realises that we aren't going anywhere until she calms down.

Child abuse? A little perspective is needed unless you are writing a kneejerk peice for a rag.

My favourite place in my grandad's car on jaunts to the coast was on the back parcel shelf. God knows how I and billions of others survived the abuse.

Child abuse? A little perspective is needed unless you are writing a kneejerk peice for a rag.

My favourite place in my grandad's car on jaunts to the coast was on the back parcel shelf. God knows how I and billions of others survived the abuse.

Many didn't

When I was working in A&E many years ago when I was a student nurse and before the seat belt law, in the late 70's at a guess - I had to 'lay out' the tiny body of a 4 year old girl who had been standing up in the back of her Daddys car which collided with a bus at speed. The little girls body was hurled through the back window of the car and was found on the road yards behind the crash.

She lived for 30 minutes after the crash and her cries haunt me to this day.

PLEASE - ensure that the most precious things in your life are fastened in the car before setting off.

a few weeks back i was pulling into a car park in meadowhall looked at the car beside me and saw a car with an asian family in with what looked like a baby not older than 6month old in the front passenger side seat with no belt!!! Not that a belt would help the little one in a crash anyway!!!

You and thousands of others were just lucky never to have been in a collision. When I think of some of the chances we all took before wiser heads decided on the seatbelt laws, I quail.

A friend of mine has a ragged scar on her forehead and down her cheek from being thrown out of her dad's car in an RTC. From long before the days of child seats and belts, of course. She might have more seriously injured or killed but luckily landed in a roadside hedge!

Archived