Is my employer being unreasonable?

...................at a guess the employer!!! You have a sick note, that is enough for your employer. If your Dr thinks you are still unfit for work,that should be that!! Hope you will feel better soon.

The employer, I think, is in breach of health and safety legislation for employing someone who is known to be unfit for work.

If you have a sicknote for a week, you stay off for a week. Your employer doesn't get a say in the matter, and you can happily ignore anything he wants to say about you coming in earlier.

I never knew that, I have known workers come back to work early on many occasions too.

The employer, I think, is in breach of health and safety legislation for employing someone who is known to be unfit for work.

If you have a sicknote for a week, you stay off for a week. Your employer doesn't get a say in the matter, and you can happily ignore anything he wants to say about you coming in earlier.

Making it up now!:hihi:

I've spoke to the doctor and work about this and neither have a problem with me going back (they have ticked the 'unfit for work' box as well), so I wasn't aware there were any issues.

I'm not getting company sick pay, so they're only paying me SSP.

They've already told me I have to ring them rather than email then (fair enough), but they answer maybe one time in ten attempts.

Because someone is signed off as sick the employees insurance is void should something nasty happen to him at work.

That’s exactly what the doctor told me when I broke a bone in my arm, he said “ if you drive you aren’t insured because I have told you not to and if you go to work your employer isn’t insured and would be liable if anything happened”

That’s exactly what the doctor told me when I broke a bone in my arm, he said “ if you drive you aren’t insured because I have told you not to and if you go to work your employer isn’t insured and would be liable if anything happened”

The same happened decades ago when I tried to go back to the office with a broken leg. I argued, quite reasonably, that since my job consisted of sitting in a chair, and a plaster on my leg did not prevent me doing so, that it was ridiculous to keep me away from work. They didn't argue the point, but since my sicknote covered eight weeks they refused to let me go to work for eight weeks.

Perhaps 'illegal' is the wrong word, if it's an insurance issue and not a prosecutable one; but one way or the other, if you are signed off sick, your employer cannot allow you to work.

If he has a sicknote for the entire week it's illegal for him to go in any earlier than next Monday, unless it is replaced with an updated sicknote giving a return date.

Yes, I think they're not covered by Insurance should something happen.

Archived