What's the meaning of life

True, but hopefully, have a longer lifespan in which to enjoy things before it reaches its inevitable end.

Of course, if the only things that you enjoy are drinking, smoking, eating badly and not exercising, you're in rather a bind.

The thing is if there is nothing after death than the experiences are waisted on a cold and lonely universe and it does not matter if your in a wheel chair or an Olympic track runner.

I guess you may as well top yourselves now :hihi:

The thing is if there is nothing after death than the experiences are waisted on a cold and lonely universe and it does not matter if your in a wheel chair or an Olympic track runner.

For myself, I think I'd enjoy life as an Olympic track runner rather more than I'd enjoy life in a wheelchair. Since neither of those applies to me, though, I simply set out to live my life in a way that seems good to me. If there is nothing after death, then whether or not I succeed will matter not a whit, but will still give me personal satisfaction; if there is something after death, then I trust that whatever that something is, will look upon my efforts to lead a good life with sympathy.

For myself, I think I'd enjoy life as an Olympic track runner rather more than I'd enjoy life in a wheelchair. Since neither of those applies to me, though, I simply set out to live my life in a way that seems good to me. If there is nothing after death, then whether or not I succeed will matter not a whit, but will still give me personal satisfaction; if there is something after death, then I trust that whatever that something is, will look upon my efforts to lead a good life with sympathy.

It is all we can do. Give a twinkle of our life's onto the next and hope we look down in fondness.

Surely, it matters not a jot if there is, or is not, something after death, and it shouldn't affect in anyway a persons' decision to live their own life in the way they do. There's something of a psychological trap in thinking along the lines of "I'll be rewarded later for the life I live now" ... rather, the reward is integral to each moment of life, when we are true to ourselves, and live with integrity, that is reward in and of itself.

By the way, I'm very much with you on the Olympic track runner issue!

There's a famous experiment by Dr. MacDougall of the USA, which - according to him - demonstrated the loss of weight in a human body at the instant of death, but very few people take it seriously. http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

I suspect that the OP has confused ounces with grammes, since Dr. MacDougall never recorded a weight loss of more than a couple of ounces.

not confused i work with the dead trust me it's 11 ounces.just dont know where it go's???

Archived