What's the meaning of life

so how do you realise self? and where and when does self express its self in life?

You become aware of your awareness (which is different from just being aware). The self isn't something to necessarily be expressed it just is, burning beneath the surface. People don't express the self in every day life because we need the masks of ego to interact in social situations. Unfortunately many people believe they are the masks they wear. I think the sole purpose of this is to be able to step back and look at your "every day self" as objectively as possible, in relation to the vastness around you.

Some may say that you had a dream.
That's true, but I usually don't remember what I dreamt about within hours. Even so, it leaves me caught between two beliefs. Is there life after death or not, and also with a smidgin of hope, I'm thankful enough for that. If I meet Pat again, will she be 42 again, as she was, meeting her long lost husband in his eighties?:)

I think I just sussed it all out but its like a lot of fog in my head and it would take some patience and a lot of leaping of faith to grasp it.

Either that or I'm just some nutter that did too much petrol, glue and acid in my teens (all of which is equally true).

Anyway I just been watching some vid's on about relativity and gravity ect, and I just made up something to try and make some sense of it so it probably meaningless :D

You become aware of your awareness (which is different from just being aware). The self isn't something to necessarily be expressed it just is, burning beneath the surface. People don't express the self in every day life because we need the masks of ego to interact in social situations. Unfortunately many people believe they are the masks they wear. I think the sole purpose of this is to be able to step back and look at your "every day self" as objectively as possible, in relation to the vastness around you.

intresting epiphany,but I don't understand how you become aware of awareness ,who or what becomes aware of what?...what point a self within a self?.....ego can sometimes become a mask when you become egotistical or egocentric but for a lot of people it's not used as a mask.btw who or what looks back at self?

intresting epiphany,but I don't understand how you become aware of awareness ,who or what becomes aware of what?...what point a self within a self?.....ego can sometimes become a mask when you become egotistical or egocentric but for a lot of people it's not used as a mask.btw who or what looks back at self?
We all work on so many levels hence multiple personality disorders.

A load of Indians and no Chief.

btw epiphany I don't know what level your at as a guitarist but if you ever get the chance to listen to ""the wish " by the great fusion guitarist john mccloughlan on the "remember shakti' album" its one of the purist forms of expression of self via a guitar I've ever heard.

btw epiphany I don't know what level your at as a guitarist but if you ever get the chance to listen to ""the wish " by the great fusion guitarist john mccloughlan on the "remember shakti' album" its one of the purist forms of expression of self via a guitar I've ever heard.

Yes that is a beautiful piece. I feel I can express myself (or the various images of myself!) on guitar pretty well but nowhere near the technical ability of McLaughlin. Give me a few... decades :hihi:

In response to your previous post, I personally find it very difficult to explain beyond "awareness of awareness". I can only really experience it for seconds at a time, like most people, because as soon as you get into that state, the mind immediately starts to rebuild its associations and repaint the canvas you have just cleaned. The point is acknowledging it when you do experience it and using it as a form of individual empowerment. It really does put everything into perspective. For me there is a paradox in that the meaning of life is that it is ultimately meaningless, but not in a nihilistic sort of way. It's a more majestic sense of meaninglessness, and it's quite beautiful.

As I implied, ego is necessary, but the difference is between self reflection through the ego itself or self reflection that bypasses the ego and can therefore stand above it all and see it from a pure, emotionless, still and objective point of view. "Who" is looking at it from this position? Your awareness of itself. It is not a question of "who" anymore.

Archived