Why isn't spiked fencing illegal?

This is something that iv'e never quite understood, especially when taking into account the legislative guidelines on protecting our property which clearly state that we mustn't lay in wait, or prepare any form of trap that might cause injury to trespassers/intruders. Iv'e even seen it placed around school yards of all places. Isn't the primary function of a fence to keep people out, or am I overlooking something really really obvious?.

There's a wall I often drive past down Attercliffe that still has the old broken bottle glass spikes cemented onto it. Looks lethal, but I suppose if you put something well enough padded across, you could still climb over it without hurting yourself.

Is it the one at the crossroads ?

Like many things, there is no simple answer.

There are Local Authority regulations that can prevent you from putting stuff on boundaries with public spaces.

They can ask you to remove the offending items and then take proceedings if you don't.

Those regulations can vary depending on what you want to put up and at what height.

The other thing that comes into this is Owners Liability which means that someone can take out a civil action against you if they damage themselves on your spikes etc.

The chances of them succeeding are greatly reduced by putting up warning notices which you will usually see at schools etc. which use razor wire etc.

Don't forget that little kiddies cannot be expected to read signs and so varying levels of proportionality come into play as well.

Archived