Why isn't spiked fencing illegal?

The one I was thinking of is down one of the side roads, but there's several others in the area.

When I was a young un one of my mates climbed over a wall at the back of some shops and got some terrible injuries to his hands :|

All perfectly reasonable points of view, nonetheless, I still believe that installing spiked fencing is an extremely gruesome measure to take whem securing our property, especially when you consider what a politically correct, safety concious nanny state we've become, besides, it's absolute insanity to have it erected on or around schools grounds, which they most certainly have done and continue to do... it's bonkers. What purpose other that causing severe injuries to any would be tresspasser do the spikes serve?.

But don't misunderstand, I'm not sympathising with the thieving scum-bags who are mean't to be deterred by such fences. I'm simply pointing out the madness behind the method which allows the practice to continue in such a pc society.

There are Local Authority regulations that can prevent you from putting stuff on boundaries with public spaces.

They can ask you to remove the offending items and then take proceedings if you don't.

As i posted earlier , i have razor wire on the back of my garage which backs onto public woods after two attempted break ins where the thieving scumbags climbed over my garage roof from the woods ,so as not to be seen from the road.

Ive never had anyone from the Authoritys tell me its illegal or ask me to take it down ( which i wouldnt ,as its on my private property.

Its also done the job ,as ive had no problems since i put it up last year.

What purpose other that causing severe injuries to any would be tresspasser do the spikes serve?.

The purpose is to prevent would-be trespassers from making the attempt at all, rather than to cause severe injuries upon them when they do so. (Those who prefer hidden traps and the like, obviously are more concerned with inflicting injuries than with preventing the attempt.)

Now, whether it works or not is another question.

As i posted earlier , i have razor wire on the back of my garage which backs onto public woods after two attempted break ins where the thieving scumbags climbed over my garage roof from the woods ,so as not to be seen from the road.

Ive never had anyone from the Authoritys tell me its illegal or ask me to take it down

Has anyone in authority ever said that it is not illegal? Or could it just be that they haven't noticed it yet?

Has anyone in authority ever said that it is not illegal? Or could it just be that they haven't noticed it yet?

Well ,seeing as its perfectly legal to buy ,and it is on private property , the chances of me removing it are Zero.

Now ,if i had placed it actually in the wood overhanging council property ,fair enough , but its on my property , so if anyone gets hurt on it ,it means they would have had to have been tresspassing on my property to have hurt themselves in the first place.

As i posted earlier ..........

We read it the first time. :)

Now go and put the same razor wire on a 3 ft high wall at the front next to the pavement and you will get my point about it not being black and white.

Razor wire, spikes and glass are not "illegal" and can be used, but there regulations that can stop you using it in certain circumstances.

Well ,seeing as its perfectly legal to buy ,and it is on private property , the chances of me removing it are Zero.

That is not the question I asked.

For what it's worth, if anyone in authority finds it and deems it to be illegal, it really doesn't matter whether you agree to take it down or not. Either you take it down, or they take it down and you go to court. However, if razor wire is both visible and on your own property, my own guess would be that you are breaking no law.

I have to revise my earlier post. Where I said "public space", I should have put "public highway" and the Highways Act is the relevant legislation.

Sorry if I led anyone astray.

It continues to be a fact, within the Highways Act that even if the razor/barbed wire is on your fence/wall, if it IS adjacent to a HIGHWAY and can be deemed a nuisance if people or animals can injure themselves on it, the authority can ask for it to be removed and start proceeding if you don't.

Those proceedings are limited to getting an order to enable them to remove it themselves and persue you for the cost of doing so.

Archived