Panorama, 02/08/10, 8:30, BBC1

never actually owned your own staffy have you jules lol. they have just as much brains but due to the stubborness and the fact they werent bred to do complex tasks like a GSD they dont show it in the same way. ive owned a staffy cross for over 13 years and he may want me to think hes stupid but hes far from

Not sure about that one, my girl would have made a fantastic scent dog - We can hide her favourite rag (was a toy for the first 5 minutes :roll: ) anywhere and she will hunt it down until she finds it.

To add to that if I buy her a replacement (same toy but in one piece)- she knows I have it as soon as I walk in the house, whilst its wrapped in a carrier bag in my zipped up handbag. She goes straight to my bag, gives it one big sniff and then sits to attention waiting for me to reveal her new toy.

She's very clever and exceedingly manipulative given half the chance.

Im watching this right now and i'm surprised that a dog is being put to sleep because it growled at another dog, the amount of dogs on the street that have growled at my dogs, or me and my little girl is unreal should everyone of them be put to sleep?? If it showed agression towards humans i could understand but how many dogs out there snarl or growl when seeing other dogs that they dont know?? Is it just me that finds this confusing and totally upsetting? :confused: Just seen that dog been put to sleep and im in tears and its not even my dog!!!!!!

I'm all for dog licenses too if your a sensible dog owner I can't see why you wouldn't be for them.

HAHA the rspca said they wont take any more in from joe public...........well they dont want to spend a lot of money they sit on on animals if they can help it, new offices, pay for the top people and scrounging tv ads saying they need more money...........

Bit harsh but I think it would be better if these dog's didn't exist at all.

Great attitude! first get rid of the least favourite dogs, then the ugliest horses, the fattest elephants. Then I know, why not start on the people and create a perfect race of people that fit the chosen profile and call the the master race and they van live in the father land.

What a load of cobblers. Something needs to be done to make the neglectful owners accountable or put more thought into getting a dog. As an owner of 2 dogs, I would gladly pay a fee for a licence, if it reduced the number of animals beings neglected and put to sleep. Or better still I would pay to undergo a test to prove that I have enough common sense and committment to look after an animal.

HAHA the rspca said they wont take any more in from joe public...........well they dont want to spend a lot of money they sit on on animals if they can help it, new offices, pay for the top people and scrounging tv ads saying they need more money...........

They're moving to a new system at the moment of only taking cruelty cases that they can prosectute. I think they're doing trials in a few areas. This is going to put even more pressure on smaller rescues. All that bloody money the RSPCA's got and they won't help the vast majority of rescue animals....:rant:

They're moving to a new system at the moment of only taking cruelty cases that they can prosectute. I think they're doing trials in a few areas. This is going to put even more pressure on smaller rescues. All that bloody money the RSPCA's got and they won't help the vast majority of rescue animals....:rant:

if rolf harris aint around or tv camera's they act totally differant

I do wish people would stop making sweeping generalised remarks about certain breeds.

I have a JRT, he has a fantastic temperament, he lives with 4 cats and we are a family with children.

The first dog I ever had of my own was a smooth haired JRT. I was 7 and called her Bess. Sadly, in those days there were no injections and she contracted distemper and had to be put down. :( I can still see in my mind's eye her 'setting me' to rag with her. She was a feisty little thing. She loved to play with us kids, never bit or snapped, ever. But she could jump, from a standing start, right over my head!

We watched it, I think that the program did not show the half of it! Something has to be done but what? License..... only the sensible ones will get one, Ban the breed..... get real bread correctly they are one of the best dogs you could wish for. Not sure how many of you came to the Hillsborough Extravaganza on Saturday but we were there for Rain Rescue with our Staffy Sam. He sat all day,was fussed, patted, kisses, hugged, pushed pulled and he did not flinch. We were complimented on how great a dog he was. Someone actually came up to my OH and said "I have never ever liked Staffies, I have believed every bad story I have ever read, I cannot believe the other side to the breed. He's an absolute credit to you" The only idea I could come up with would be to ban the breeding by way of some kind of license but policing something like that would not realistically be possible. Its a sad situation.

Yes Rubydazzler I too have similar memory's as my Nan had a JRT when I was a child. We would dress her up and push her round in our doll's pram. Bless her, she was a sweetheart. Our Ice-cream man used to make her a mini come filled with ice-cream as she used to wait for him coming:)

Sorry people to go off topic

x

Archived