Google takes on Facebook

Sorry if this is a bit sketchy, but I was reading an article in a magazine today while I was waiting for an appointnent.

It said that Google is about to launch new SNS to hit Facebook squarely between the eyes.

The gist of the article was:

1. FB owns the internet and Google want it back.

2. FB behaves like a company with a monopoly, and treats its users like pawns in order to target paid advertising.

3. FB shows little regard for it's users privacy.

4. Google will make privacy their main aim.

5. Google will uphold their motto "Don't be evil".

Could this be a winner for Google, and the end of FB? Or just another weak attempt by Google to try and retain it's former glory?

Would you consider leaving FB to join a new contender?

Former glory? Google a bigger then ever. If anyone was to take on FB, Google could give them a run for their money, however the biggest threat to FB is their own terms and conditions.

I agree, but the article claimed that FB now own the internet.

Sorry if this is a bit sketchy, but I was reading an article in a magazine today while I was waiting for an appointnent.

It said that Google is about to launch new SNS to hit Facebook squarely between the eyes.

The gist of the article was:

1. FB owns the internet and Google want it back.

2. FB behaves like a company with a monopoly, and treats its users like pawns in order to target paid advertising.

3. FB shows little regard for it's users privacy.

4. Google will make privacy their main aim.

5. Google will uphold their motto "Don't be evil".

Could this be a winner for Google, and the end of FB? Or just another weak attempt by Google to try and retain it's former glory?

Would you consider leaving FB to join a new contender?

1-3 sounds more like google than facebook

Wouldn't that be your first clue as to the validity of said article :)

The fact that Google have made several atempts at making inroads into the SNS market, that have bombed would be my first clue. Remember "My Google"? Probably not, and you can be excused for not remembering it.

However, They appear to be serious about their new campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Google give FB a run for their money, It's a big ask though!

The fact that Google have made several atempts at making inroads into the SNS market, that have bombed would be my first clue. Remember "My Google"? Probably not, and you can be excused for not remembering it.

However, They appear to be serious about their new campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Google give FB a run for their money, It's a big ask though!

Didn't My Google become iGoogle?

Archived