Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

• I've bought one and I am wearing it
    • I've bought one but I do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one but do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one and wear it
    • I'm not going to buy one because I'd rather donate to other causes
    • I'm not going to buy one because I believe it is wrong
    • I'm not going to buy one ... for other reasons

I can remember at one point that they tried to ban poppies because it is a sign of victory rather than sign to remember the fallen. I did a brief search but cannot find this fact - has anyone else heard.

However I did find this, may be this was it

BBC bans presenters from wearing poppies on international channel

Are the BBC right to do so?

Should it be banned?

You missed an option: "I'm not going to buy one because I still have last year's poppy."

Anyway, I wear one - as far as I'm concerned it's a sign of respect for those who gave their lives for this country.

Remember that you could get white poppys a few years ago? Do they still make them?

Originally posted by alchresearch

Perhaps we should continue to remember until 2018, when it has been 100 years and let it quietly come to rest.

That would be 100 years after the Great War, but there have been many more wars since then, in which many people have died.

Originally posted by Andy

You missed an option: "I'm not going to buy one because I still have last year's poppy."

The whole point of poppys is to raise funds for the widows and familys of the fallen.

You are hardly contributing to that if you don't buy one every year are you.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

The whole point of poppys is to raise funds for the widows and familys of the fallen.

You are hardly contributing to that if you don't buy one every year are you.

Agreed. I buy a poppy every year - in fact I usually buy more than one because I keep losing them. However, I know some people do re-use last year's poppy.

Great War - Great as in big, not as in good. It was also called the war to end all wars I believe - could they have been more wrong?

On a kind of related note, do people here observe the two minutes silence on the 11th November? Do peoples workplaces allow this?

Archived