Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

• I've bought one and I am wearing it
    • I've bought one but I do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one but do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one and wear it
    • I'm not going to buy one because I'd rather donate to other causes
    • I'm not going to buy one because I believe it is wrong
    • I'm not going to buy one ... for other reasons

I can remember at one point that they tried to ban poppies because it is a sign of victory rather than sign to remember the fallen. I did a brief search but cannot find this fact - has anyone else heard.

Wasn't it more a case of trying to substitute it with the white poppy for peace? I do remember what you mean though.

I always wear one. My Grandad fought in the second and he's still alive so it's quite a big thing in my family (my dad's a historian as well!). When I was little we used to go to the monument in town on the sunday every year...

I think it's not just about a specific war but all the wars and loved ones that have passed on - 2 minutes a year to think fondly of those we've lost isn't much, and I applaud any attempts to continue the practice. The BBC are very much in the wrong IMHO.

Originally posted by Andy

I buy a poppy every year - in fact I usually buy more than one because I keep losing them.

On a kind of related note, do people here observe the two minutes silence on the 11th November? Do peoples workplaces allow this?

I try to buy a poppy each year but I always lose them too. I don't think I've got the knack of securing them firmly with the pin. I always end up with no poppy and just a pin stuck in my jacket. So then I buy another one...

The company I work for doesn't observe a minutes silence on November 11th. Perhaps we should be.

Out of respect for my own grandparents, great grandparents and all those who found themselves battling to survive in miserable wartime conditions, I certainly observe a couple of minutes silence and wear a poppy.

When I was much younger, I kind of saw it as a symbol of imperialism that I didn't want anything to do with. Now knowing a great deal more about the actual experiences my own grandparents went through during WW2, I greatly regret this point of view.

Ive got a nice big red poppy and i wear it when im wearing black or red and it ties in well. Its nice to show appreciation and i dread to think what would happen if there was a similar type war now where civilians had to be draughted in.

I remember as a teen I refused to have anything to do with poppy day as I was of the stupid belief that peace should rule.

Completely missed the point of entire thing.

I don't care if you agree with war or not - that doesn't stop thousands of men and women doing what they feel is right for their country and needing a bit more than the regular support available later in life or even as a result of their service.

I will be buying a poppy and I buy one for each of my children to wear too. The money that is raised goes to help the survivors of wars and their families like my grandparents.

The British Legion got him the bed and they also got my grandparents a new fridge - that was safer when storing my nan's iron vaccines. I wish I had been able to help that way myself but I am very glad the Legion was there to help in my place.

Moon Maiden

Archived