Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or are you getting a poppy this year?

• I've bought one and I am wearing it
    • I've bought one but I do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one but do not intend to wear it
    • I'm planning to buy one and wear it
    • I'm not going to buy one because I'd rather donate to other causes
    • I'm not going to buy one because I believe it is wrong
    • I'm not going to buy one ... for other reasons

When I was younger and more bolshy than I am today I wouldn't wear a poppy at all, thought it celebrated war. Then along came the white poppy one year and I bought that. Boy did I get abused by the older end of the population.

As I've grown older I see it much differently. I wear a poppy and observe the minutes silence which I find very moving indeed.

Last year my little 5 year old emptied her money box (about £10) and snook the money into school for the poppy appeal. I think that she just liked dropping the money in the box. :rolleyes::shocked: She had kindly brought 4 poppies home though - one for each of us.

Originally posted by Mo

When I was younger and more bolshy than I am today I wouldn't wear a poppy at all, thought it celebrated war. Then along came the white poppy one year and I bought that. Boy did I get abused by the older end of the population.

As I've grown older I see it much differently. I wear a poppy and observe the minutes silence which I find very moving indeed.

Your experience sounds very similar to my own - detailed earlier in the thread. In actual fact, I now find the idea of a white poppy quite insulting, as it implies that the wearer is somehow superior to all those old folks in red poppies who lived through the nightmare. We should remember that to them, poppy day is not just about paying tribute in an abstract way, but about remembering actual friends and family who didn't make it.

The implication that those who wear a red poppy are somehow in favour of war is also hard to take.

I should add that my mum's parents were pacifists, and my grandad on that side had his own trials and tribulations to go through during WW2. My thoughts are just as much for his memory as for those who were fighting.

It's about respect. And white poppies are not respectful.

i cant believe you put a poll on here about this. the money from the poppy appeals go to the families of those who lost their lives, not just in WW2, but even the war in Iraq.

you should buy one for that reason. just cos you bought one a few years ago, doesnt mean you can wear it this year with pride.

Yes i always buy at least one and wear it on my coat.

They are there to raise money to help those still living after war, and as a show of rememberance for those who have lost there lives in war, and not just the world wars. There are people who will have lost relatives recently in Iraq who will be very happy to see how many people remember the people that give there lives for our country.

I usually end up buying 2 or 3 every year (i lose them so easily)

I never used tobuy one until i was 14/15 and i went on a scholl trip to the Somme.

If you have never been it is hard to describe it. It scared me so that i was pretty nihilistic for a time. It also gave me a healthy respect for people, whoever they are. If nothign else it imprinted on a fairly idealistic mind how horrific death in all it's forms is.

I think the few pounds i spend each year isn't nearly enough to ease the pain that any war causes, but it is a start.

Wilf, in one of his more pacifistic moments

Archived