Wicker Arches bombed ?

My father wasn't called up for service during the war as he worked in the east end in a steel foundry, and he used to walk through the Wicker every day. I remember him telling me about the unexploded bomb that passed through the main arch, and showing me the 'patch', so it is trued. I feel pretty sure that I've seen a photo of it after the bomb fell, but can't remember when or where, although it may be worth pursuing.

It's well known that a bomb passed through the arch without exploding, and I had always assumed that the bomb didn't explode at all, though this page includes the statement: "As we approached the Wicker bomb damage was becoming more frequent and in the Wicker Arches there was a hole in the arch and the chassis of a tram on the track directly below it. The bodywork had gone and it was obvious that a bomb had gone through the arch and had exploded destroying the tram and bringing down the overhead wires".

I was told years ago by my grandma that the bomb did indeed explode but there are differing accounts.

I always love to have a glance at the arch when passing. The patch is a phenomenal size and it beggars belief that it remained structurally sound.

There can't be a lot of architecture left that bears such visible scars of the war.

It's well known that a bomb passed through the arch without exploding, and I had always assumed that the bomb didn't explode at all, though this page includes the statement: "As we approached the Wicker bomb damage was becoming more frequent and in the Wicker Arches there was a hole in the arch and the chassis of a tram on the track directly below it. The bodywork had gone and it was obvious that a bomb had gone through the arch and had exploded destroying the tram and bringing down the overhead wires".

just had a read through that article many thanks, what an insight in to what must have been an unimaginable night!

just had a read through that article many thanks, what an insight in to what must have been an unimaginable night!
Yes indeed - my father was working a night shift at Firth Browns, and he walked home to Woodland View through all the devastation (avoiding Malin Bridge where there was an unexploded land mine). It was difficult to get him to talk about what he saw - so utterly awful. In 1943-45 the Germans got it much worse - so pointless.

Yes indeed - my father was working a night shift at Firth Browns, and he walked home to Woodland View through all the devastation (avoiding Malin Bridge where there was an unexploded land mine). It was difficult to get him to talk about what he saw - so utterly awful. In 1943-45 the Germans got it much worse - so pointless.

Yes, I could never understand the rationale of trying to break the German spirit by bombing, when three years earlier bombing had failed to break the British spirit.

certainly puts things in perspective dosnt it?