Wicker Arches bombed ?

goes back to the medieval times dosnt it? sure I've heard wicker fields mentioned?

I've heard it got it's name due to the wicker reed beds that used to be on the river. At one time it was just a large green open space, known as Assembly Green, with a large mound at each end used for archery practice.

Always wondered what "The Wicker" meant? I'm sure someone else has mentioned this somewhere on the forum.
Nobody seems to know for sure, according to the Wikipedia article, though maybe wicker baskets were made from the willows or alders that grew there.

Under the main arch of the Wicker Arches there is a large, concrete patch. I was told this was where an unexploding bomb went through in the war. Anyone know of this story ?

just had a walk down that area on my dinner today and took this on my phone, sorry about the quality but you can just make out the patch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/andyrad/Sheffield%20places/WickerBombdamage382010.jpg

I like the rhyme about the wicker

A goin darn twicker weer twater run or tweer

I once tried to teach this to a spanish lad who I worked with ,He could not get it right or understand yorkshire

tried all so to explain GREENHILL known as Grenhill AND WOODHOUSE AS WOODUS

Just noticed you are a Weston. Could you be a distant relative of mine? I'm researching the Weston family from Attercliffe Common.

Thomas Weston b.1875 d.1955 Hairdresser and Taxidermist - shop on attercliffe common.

?

Under the main arch of the Wicker Arches there is a large, concrete patch. I was told this was where an unexploding bomb went through in the war. Anyone know of this story ?

I like the rhyme about the wicker

A goin darn twicker weer twater run or tweer

I once tried to teach this to a spanish lad who I worked with ,He could not get it right or understand yorkshire

tried all so to explain GREENHILL known as Grenhill AND WOODHOUSE AS WOODUS

Also Lydgate Lane Crookes ,Pronounced Ligit Lane . Someone once asked me

the way to Lidgate Lane , took me a while to know what they meant.