Wicker Arches bombed ?

It's well known that a bomb passed through the arch without exploding, and I had always assumed that the bomb didn't explode at all, though this page includes the statement: "As we approached the Wicker bomb damage was becoming more frequent and in the Wicker Arches there was a hole in the arch and the chassis of a tram on the track directly below it. The bodywork had gone and it was obvious that a bomb had gone through the arch and had exploded destroying the tram and bringing down the overhead wires".

My dad explained that patch to me when a kid while we were walking under there in the 1950's. He also pointed out the scars from aircraft bullets on the Spital Hill facade side of the arches, which I assume are still visible.

Edited by stpetre
add

It's well known that a bomb passed through the arch without exploding, and I had always assumed that the bomb didn't explode at all, though this page includes the statement: "As we approached the Wicker bomb damage was becoming more frequent and in the Wicker Arches there was a hole in the arch and the chassis of a tram on the track directly below it. The bodywork had gone and it was obvious that a bomb had gone through the arch and had exploded destroying the tram and bringing down the overhead wires".

I think the bomb did explode on the roadway. On the first night of the Blitz (December 12/13,1940), my parents and I started-out in air raid shelters that used to be on the corner of Stanley Street/Joiner Lane. Sometime during the raid, the ARP/Police came into the shelter and told us we had to move and we were sent to a shelter that was in the cellar of a 3- storey cutlery works that used to be on the corner of Andrews Street and Johnson Lane. (where Derek Dooley way is now). While we were in the shelter, there was a lot of distant noise and then there was an enormous explosion somewhere close. All the shelter doors (supposedly blast-proof) were blown open. I was very young at the time but the memory of that event is still with me.

As far as I know, there were only two HE bombs that fell on that part of the Wicker area that night: the rest of the damage was done by incendiaries.

Regards

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 23:57 ----------

I think the bomb did explode on the roadway. On the first night of the Blitz (December 12/13,1940), my parents and I started-out in air raid shelters that used to be on the corner of Stanley Street/Joiner Lane. Sometime during the raid, the ARP/Police came into the shelter and told us we had to move and we were sent to a shelter that was in the cellar of a 3- storey cutlery works that used to be on the corner of Andrews Street and Johnson Lane. (where Derek Dooley way is now). While we were in the shelter, there was a lot of distant noise and then there was an enormous explosion somewhere close. All the shelter doors (supposedly blast-proof) were blown open. I was very young at the time but the memory of that event is still with me.

Regards

Edited by Falls