Installation of curtain pole

above my window there is no wood for a curtain pole to screw into... just a plaster board wall :huh:

can i screw the cutain pole (brackets) directly to the wall or would i need to fit a piece of wood there first.

call me dumb if you like but all my other houses ive lived i has had wood above each window for the curtain pole to be fixed into, this house hasnt got any... plus im a women trying to prove my "thinks he knows it all" husband that he is wrong.

You can fix the curtain pole straight to the wall - all the ones in our house are. :-)

Edit: I guess the wooden boards are probably necessary for attaching curtain track.

:hihi: thank you.... im just off to torment hubby and prove him wrong :hihi:

You say "plasterboard wall".

If that is plasterboard directly onto a brick/block wall then drill & fix as normal.

If it is plasterboard with a cavity behind it you will need special fixings to avoid it pulling straight out.

This will give you an idea of the sort of fixings, toggles, butterflies etc,:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm

You can fix the curtain pole straight to the wall - all the ones in our house are. :-)

Edit: I guess the wooden boards are probably necessary for attaching curtain track.

You'd be better fixing a wooden batten to the wall and then attach the rail to that. It's usually more secure that way.

You'd be better fixing a wooden batten to the wall and then attach the rail to that. It's usually more secure that way.

Think we'll have to disagree on this one. Our curtain poles are fixed directly into the brick wall. Why would that be less secure than being fixed to a wooden baton, which is then fixed to the wall?

drascalmel: if you want 'proof' for your husband, show him this:

http://www.polesandblinds.com/help-and-advice/rails.asp

:)

Archived