Anyone else sick of scrutters/hoodies general ganster wannabies

Not as pathetic as hanging around in a group with the sole intention of harassing people who want to go about their daily business.

I agree that if they are doing it to harass people, then it is pathetic, but it would be as equally pathetic whether they were doing it alone or with others.

It really was no different 'back in the day'. Lots of kids back then had little parental guidance, could be violent, drank, were poor role models etc. People like to dress this sort of thing as being new. It is not. And believe me, there was never a time (despite what some people tell you) when you could challenge a hard man to a fistfight, shake hands when done and that was the end of it. Similarly, there was never a time when you 'could leave your door open and go out for the day'.

Music, slang, technology and fashions may have changed considerably. The whole scenario has not changed a great deal at all.

In the area where I lived you could leave the doors unlocked. I lived off Grammar St, Lower Walkley during the 50s and 60s and the only time the doors were locked was when my parents and I went on holiday. Domestic burglaries were rare, and you hardly ever had to lock your car, (m/cycles werent fitted with locks) if you had one. The only gangs I remember were Teddy-Boys who sometimes fought amongst themselves. Kids use to do pranks such as door knocking and breaking milk bottles, but nothing serious.

Knives-when I was at school (50s to early 60s) a pen knife (pocket knife) or sometimes the larger jack knife was the standard item carried in most boys pockets, even at school, but was never considered to be or used as a weapon.

I like it when the little mugs get all cocky on the tram. Blocking off the ilse with their legs.

I find a quick kick soon encourages them to move. Last time i got a thankyou from the conductor;)

I salute you well done!:D

bloomin arrogant idiot chavs deserve anything people are prepared to do to them!

I agree with every comment made, unfortunately today we as parents have a constant battle with what our kids see on a daily basis. My son occasionally thinks he's one of the gang when he hangs around on the streets loitering and doing nothing....so how about this....never been in trouble with the Police, received a PAL (Parental Advisory Letter) from the local Police SNA when he was checked out by PCSO's for anti-social behaviour matters....Gounded him for a week, took his mobile off him, no internet and took his SKY card off him too. What crippled him more was the fact I have cut the hood off his hoody, which I paid for. He's more gutted about that.... It was the most boring and frustrating week of his life. I can assure you, he wont be getting tagged with any scutter/scrote or would-be gangster label from here-on-in. Its down to us parents to sort, nobody else.

Well surely the higher level of new stories on TV, newspapers etc about attacks by 'chavs' and 'hoodies' is much, much higher than the equivalent groups in the 80s and 70s? The fear of it is much higher probably due to the fact that it is presented that way.

theres alot more tv coverage now than there was in the 70's and 80's we've gone from what 3 channels (if that in the 70's) to approx 1000 now available on sky tv!

what about the burka i think they should be allowed because its part of the the religion for a women it the hoodies the gangta wannabies who need to be stopped they the ones who wanna go round stabbing, happy slapping and so on so shut up about the burkas:rant:

don't want to get into a debate over this but bhukha is culture related not religion related, just the same as hoodies are now a culture type item for alot in this country nowa days

I agree with every comment made, unfortunately today we as parents have a constant battle with what our kids see on a daily basis. My son occasionally thinks he's one of the gang when he hangs around on the streets loitering and doing nothing....so how about this....never been in trouble with the Police, received a PAL (Parental Advisory Letter) from the local Police SNA when he was checked out by PCSO's for anti-social behaviour matters....Gounded him for a week, took his mobile off him, no internet and took his SKY card off him too. What crippled him more was the fact I have cut the hood off his hoody, which I paid for. He's more gutted about that.... It was the most boring and frustrating week of his life. I can assure you, he wont be getting tagged with any scutter/scrote or would-be gangster label from here-on-in. Its down to us parents to sort, nobody else.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:lovin it!

Its a fact clothes make a massive difference

In the area where I lived you could leave the doors unlocked. I lived off Grammar St, Lower Walkley during the 50s and 60s and the only time the doors were locked was when my parents and I went on holiday. Domestic burglaries were rare, and you hardly ever had to lock your car, (m/cycles werent fitted with locks) if you had one. The only gangs I remember were Teddy-Boys who sometimes fought amongst themselves. Kids use to do pranks such as door knocking and breaking milk bottles, but nothing serious.

Knives-when I was at school (50s to early 60s) a pen knife (pocket knife) or sometimes the larger jack knife was the standard item carried in most boys pockets, even at school, but was never considered to be or used as a weapon.

I assume you could leave your doors unlocked during this time because there were plenty of people around who knew your family and would spot an intruder immediately. I will also assume that you probably had nothing worth stealing anyway. Your parents did lock up when you went away though so there was some caution exercised. Domestic burglaries were rare but still happened. Believe it or not, in most places domestic burglaries are still rare.

If some local kids broke milk bottles on your street now would you consider it to be nothing serious? I think it's all a question of perspective and how we view our younger years and compare them to our present years. During our present years we are viewing the younger generation from an outsiders perspective. We don't understand the situation completely and often (sometimes wrongly) contrast and compare todays teenagers to our own experiencies years ago. Remember, if the world they inhabit today is in decline, it is less likely to be their fault and more likely to be the older generations fault as we are the ones who have shaped/are shaping that world.

Archived