GRRRR - cars taking two spaces up!

This really makes me MAD! - people who can't park within the white lines of a parking bay, so effectively taking two spaces up! Today I went to Crystal Peaks - and was ages trying to find a space because of this. I find this happens regularly at Crystal Peaks.

Rant over!

This really makes me MAD! - people who can't park within the white lines of a parking bay, so effectively taking two spaces up! Today I went to Crystal Peaks - and was ages trying to find a space because of this. I find this happens regularly at Crystal Peaks.

Rant over!

I had this today at Morrisons in Hillsborough, a battered Fiat Multipla (who would drive this vehicle is beyond me) was taking up two spaces, but later i saw the size of the person getting in and understood why :hihi:

Crystal Peaks used to have sensible sized parking bays (which you can still see marked out in different coloured block paving), but they revised the width of those and painted new bays, reducing the space you have to clamber out

If you drive a 2 door, have a disability which prevents you from sliding out sideways, or have a small child or carseat to remove before you commence shopping, basically you've had it

If you actually mean Drakehouse Retail Park rather than Crystal Peaks, that makes even more sense, as there aren't special bays for needy drivers. I will park directly over a white line if there are plenty of other spaces, and the car I'm parking next to has a child seat in it. They need the space, and I don't need the dinks in my doors

I had this today at Morrisons in Hillsborough, a battered Fiat Multipla (who would drive this vehicle is beyond me) was taking up two spaces, but later i saw the size of the person getting in and understood why :hihi:

The Multipla is a lovely car, but it is quite wide. If the spaces are narrow it can be tricky to get in and out.

I will park directly over a white line if there are plenty of other spaces, and the car I'm parking next to has a child seat in it. They need the space, and I don't need the dinks in my doors
I do the same regularly now and that gets my vote :) Just no choice left I'm afraid. And that's lead me to wonder if, in parallel with receding individual space, the perceived 'fattening' of the population isn't correlated to the problem somehow :huh:

I'm rather fed up myself of having doors looking like a guyère slice and giving the PDR/bodyshop hundreds a year on average to have 'nice' (read: ding-less) doors because of inconsiderate muppets. For the MX5, getting the car park dings out on a regular basis (every 2 years or so) has cost me well over £1200 so far, and it's about due its next ding removal again :rant:

If people have the displacement requirements of a small whale, can't they at least learn to put their hand or fingers around their door side when they get in/out? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's because of the knock on effect of previous parkers.

One person may start the day off parking badly, or maybe a large vehicle took up 2 spaces, this may then lead the next person to park next to the first vehicle in a dodgy way, so even when the 1st vehicle has gone, it looks like the 2nd vehicle is parked dodgy.

It's not just people getting fatter, cars are too.

Ford Focus mk1 - 1700mm wide

Ford Focus mk2 - 1840mm wide

Ford Focus mk3 - 1826mm wide

Try and park a modern car in a car park built in the 70's that has it's original pillars and you'll see what I mean. The one under the Holiday Inn in Harrogate is especially tight.

Archived