Went for an operation that never happened!

My friend went for an operation today. He was at hospital very early and was put on a ward early. He was placed on the intravenous drip and went through all the procedures ready for the operation. At 7-00 PM, having hung around and being starved all day he was told that the operation could not happen that day and could he return tomorrow morning.

He was informed by the surgeon that other more urgent operations had cropped up and so he had got put down in the list. He was told that this system was frustrating but fair.

He said that he had paid into the system for thirty five years and asked if it was taken into account. He was told that it was not and that that would be unfair. So, he asked if the surgeon considered it right if he was pushed back by someone who had NEVER PAID A PENNY IN! The surgeon stated that it would be fair!

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE SURGEON!:mad:

Your 'friend' needs a reality check and seems to put a price on life. Im sure he would not like to wait if his leg was severed and he ran the risk of bleeding to death within a short time.

He could have paid in for 5 days or 5 decades, the nhs is there for all and i do not think the hipocratic oath really gives a damn who paid how much tax.

Hope things for better for him tommorow.

Your 'friend' needs a reality check and seems to put a price on life. Im sure he would not like to wait if his leg was severed and he ran the risk of bleeding to death within a short time.

He could have paid in for 5 days or 5 decades, the nhs is there for all and i do not think the hipocratic oath really gives a damn who paid how much tax.

Hope things for better for him tommorow.

We are not talking about life threatening operations generally here. Plus I think that there should be a points system for medical care based upon how much you have paid in!

So, he asked if the surgeon considered it right if he was pushed back by someone who had NEVER PAID A PENNY IN! The surgeon stated that it would be fair!

The surgeon wouldn't even enter into a discussion on the morality of the NHS. It's his job to cut people open and fix them, not have a discourse on the nature of who is and who isn't being treated.

Secondly, how do you know that the person who needs an emergency operation hasn't 'paid a penny'? You don't.

The NHS is free to all, at the point where they need it. It is a true hassle waiting for an operation, my Grandfather had two (hernia) operations cancelled on him but got it done on the third time. It is upsetting and disturbing but the system isn't perfect. I don't think it is a reason to turn someone away if they are in an emergency situation.

14 years ago I was the person who pushed everyone else down the list and stopped 18 people from having an operation that day. My op to remove a tumour was planned, but from scans and previous imaging and tests it was not apparent that the nerves and blood vessels to my arm ran straight through the middle of the tumour, so my 2 hour op with a normal sized surgical team turned into a 14 hour op using two surgical teams, finishing up with me in intensive care.

I had no choice in this- I was under anaesthetic whilst all of the decision making process happened with my general surgeon taking advice from a neurosurgeon on how to proceed. The operation ended up taking so long that two full lists of patients were cancelled for that day, completely screwing up ward lists and preparations for all of those patients.

Yes, I did (and do) feel guilty about how many people were inconvenienced by my life saving operation.

However, should Mrs Smith's hernia operation take precedence over someone who is desperately ill and potentially already under anaesthetic, and who could die as a result of the surgery stopping half way through in order to allow Mrs Smith to have her operation as planned? I think not.

We are not talking about life threatening operations generally here. Plus I think that there should be a points system for medical care based upon how much you have paid in!

Can you be certain about that? Did the surgeon confirm that none of these 'urgent' operations were for trivial things?

The surgeon wouldn't even enter into a discussion on the morality of the NHS. It's his job to cut people open and fix them, not have a discourse on the nature of who is and who isn't being treated.

Secondly, how do you know that the person who needs an emergency operation hasn't 'paid a penny'? You don't.

The NHS is free to all, at the point where they need it. It is a true hassle waiting for an operation, my Grandfather had two (hernia) operations cancelled on him but got it done on the third time. It is upsetting and disturbing but the system isn't perfect. I don't think it is a reason to turn someone away if they are in an emergency situation.

But a points system for operations would be fair based upon how long your family have lived in England and how much they paid in.

Plus I think that there should be a points system for medical care based upon how much you have paid in!

How far do you follow this policy? Old women get treat while children are left to suffer? Old people have paid in more than the children.

Archived