Went for an operation that never happened!

Yes. This is particular surgeon only deals with less serious operations. The Sister told me.

And you made sure to ask whether it was the surgeon who was too busy or whether it was another surgical team taking up theatre time for emergencies?

And you made sure to ask whether it was the surgeon who was too busy or whether it was another surgical team taking up theatre time for emergencies?

I made enough enquiries to ensure that the information that I have given here is correct. The sister actually said that the surgeon would be "looking after her "brothers" first":roll:

We are not talking about life threatening operations generally here. Plus I think that there should be a points system for medical care based upon how much you have paid in!

And how would this points system operate with, say, a child who is a passenger in a car accident and who needs emergency surgery to remove a ruptured spleen.

The child didn't ask to be in the car, the child is not at fault in the accident, the child didn't pay into the system.

Do you really think that this child should wait for an operation whilst your friend, who is having elective (by definition not emergency) surgery has his op?

And how would this points system operate with, say, a child who is a passenger in a car accident and who needs emergency surgery to remove a ruptured spleen.

The child didn't ask to be in the car, the child is not at fault in the accident, the child didn't pay into the system.

Do you really think that this child should wait for an operation whilst your friend, who is having elective (by definition not emergency) surgery has his op?

Life threatening ops would of course be exempt, but people who have paid nothing in would be made to pay upon recovery.

Life threatening ops would of course be exempt, but people who have paid nothing in would be made to pay upon recovery.

Of course, all of the people who arrive in this country with nothing have lots of means to pay for an operation in retrospect, don't they?

Bitterness is very unattractive you know.

Of course, all of the people who arrive in this country with nothing have lots of means to pay for an operation in retrospect, don't they?

Bitterness is very unattractive you know.

It would not upset me at all if they got bitter as they had paid nothing in and should not expect constant "freebies".:D

And how would you determine the price?

Say me, who hasnt paid anything 'in' but doesnt claim benefits... and I needed lifesaving op, NHS want £10,000 from me for this - well, bang goes my grans house now shes remortgaged to pay for my surgery. Dont think it will work, somehow...

The surgeon wouldn't even enter into a discussion on the morality of the NHS. It's his job to cut people open and fix them, not have a discourse on the nature of who is and who isn't being treated.

Absolutely.

To the OP - maybe you and your friend should count yourselves lucky that we've got an NHS system to rely on in the first place!

My partner's Dad and my Dad both had a heart attack in the same week. My Dad was given all the care, treatment and support that he needed. My partner had to transfer several thousand pounds to the hospital in Bengal before they'd even consider treating his - despite the fact that he could have easily died in the meantime.

It's crap going through what your friend went through. Having been through the exact same scenario myself I know only too well how it feels, but becoming bitter and resentful isn't the way forward.

Archived