Remember the roundhouse pub, heeley green?

I was born at the Roundhouse (Victoria Hotel) Heeley Green in '51, Stan Taylor was my granddad. I've lived in Australia since '79. My 2 sons are in England and want to find the Roundhouse, can any one say the streets corner that it's on?

Thanks.

I was born at the Roundhouse (Victoria Hotel) Heeley Green in '51, Stan Taylor was my granddad. I've lived in Australia since '79. My 2 sons are in England and want to find the Roundhouse, can any one say the streets corner that it's on?

Thanks.

There was a girl in my class at Carfield Junior School 50's/60's who lived at the "roundhouse" Victoria Hotel.

The area has changed drastically since the 50's/60's, not for the better unfortunately, the pub has had a couple of "fires" in recent years.

Thanks.

Ignore the little map - it shows The Roundhouse as further up Gleadless Road than it really is.

It's on the corner of Gleadless Road & Heeley Green (the road - now called Farish Place) facing the top section of Heeley Green (the area) shops.

Carrfield Street is just across the road from the Roundhouse entrance & Carrfield Road is a little higher up.

In other words, The Roundhouse is below Carrfield Road whereas the map shows it as above.

Spent many very happy hours in The Roundhouse - I started drinking in there in 1958, and still try to get down there every couple of years for old times sake - such a shame the areas gone downhill since those days but Heeley will never lose it's magic for me.

Best wishes to you in Oz and hope your lads enjoy their visit.

Further to my post - there is an old photo of the Roundhouse on Picture Sheffield, captioned - "Gleadless Road Heeley, looking towards the Victoria pub".

When I was a kid, hardly anything had changed in this scene except a telephone kiosk had been erected in front of the Roundhouses's right hand window.

Further to my post - there is an old photo of the Roundhouse on Picture Sheffield, captioned - "Gleadless Road Heeley, looking towards the Victoria pub".

When I was a kid, hardly anything had changed in this scene except a telephone kiosk had been erected in front of the Roundhouses's right hand window.

Were there some public toilets or an ornate lampost on the opposite corner going down Gleadless Road?

Duffems

Just Googled it !!!!

The whole area is totaly different to how I remembered it.

The round house was at the bottom of Heeley green road and Richards road ran across the front of it at the back of the Heeley green picture house, at the junction of Gleadless road and Richards road.

Now Richards road runs at the back of it cutting off the bottom of heeley green road all together..

They may have made the road through easier but they have definitely made a heck of a mess of my Heeley green...

Were there some public toilets or an ornate lampost on the opposite corner going down Gleadless Road?

Duffems

Yes the public toilets were about 30 yards below the Heeley Green Cinema - (going down on the same side).

There was a very old lamp on top of the toilets (which I used to swing from).

Just Googled it !!!!

The whole area is totaly different to how I remembered it.

The round house was at the bottom of Heeley green road and Richards road ran across the front of it at the back of the Heeley green picture house, at the junction of Gleadless road and Richards road.

Now Richards road run at the back of it cutting off the bottom of heeley green road all together..

They may have made the road through easier but they have definitely made a heck of a mess of my Heeley green...

My bold inserted:

Couldn't agree more - I do wish they would leave things alone as much as possible and renaming the streets shouldn't be allowed.

Hope our collective memory never packs it in or it will all have gone forever.

Archived