Remember the roundhouse pub, heeley green?

Was a regular in the Roundhouse in the early 80s, often it was a starting point for a circular pub crawl that took us eventually on Chesterfield Road then back to Heeley again. I remember watching the start of the Northern Ireland v Spain World Cup match in 1982 in the pub on a black & white set before watching the rest of the game in the Chinese chipshop opposite cos they had a color telly. Gerry Armstrong - legend.

Yes the public toilets were about 30 yards below the Heeley Green Cinema - (going down on the same side).

There was a very old lamp on top of the toilets (which I used to swing from).

Hi Organgrinder,

I'm sure I've seen a photo of this on "picturesheffield".

Duffems

Further to my post - there is an old photo of the Roundhouse on Picture Sheffield, captioned - "Gleadless Road Heeley, looking towards the Victoria pub".

When I was a kid, hardly anything had changed in this scene except a telephone kiosk had been erected in front of the Roundhouses's right hand window.

This one .. picturesheffield

Yes the public toilets were about 30 yards below the Heeley Green Cinema - (going down on the same side).

There was a very old lamp on top of the toilets (which I used to swing from).

As seen here on the L/H side .. picturesheffield

This one .. picturesheffield

As seen here on the L/H side .. picturesheffield

Yes, they are the two photos concerned.

They may look a bit dreary but they're old and I still liked it better then it is now.

I also don't know how to put links up on here or I would have done it - top of the class me-and-pippo

A couple of things that come to mind when I think about Heeley green was the grocer's opposite the Heeley green picture house in the 50s when the owner put his head on the bacon slicer, and the little shop just above where you could get drinks and sweets.

I remember once having Holicks with a Mars bar there and nearly passing out with sugar overload..

Happy days...

A couple of things that come to mind when I think about Heeley green was the grocer's opposite the Heeley green picture house in the 50s when the owner put his head on the bacon slicer, and the little shop just above where you could get drinks and sweets.

I remember once having Holicks with a Mars bar there and nearly passing out with sugar overload..

Happy days...

I didn't know about that incident with the bacon slicer.

I remember when I was a child the owner was called Bullas (don't know if that's the correct spelling but it sounded like that anyway) - it later became Flears.

Spent a lot of time in the drink shop - a lovely couple bought it when I was in my teens - guy called Ken - his wife's name Dot (I think) and they made us very welcome so we almost lived in there.

Also remember buying liquorice root ( like pieces of wood) from Dungworths greengrocers too.

Best of all, there were chip shops all over Heeley (4 within 100 yards of our house) and every one made fantastic chips - such a rarity these days.

I didn't know about that incident with the bacon slicer.

I remember when I was a child the owner was called Bullas (don't know if that's the correct spelling but it sounded like that anyway) - it later became Flears.

Spent a lot of time in the drink shop - a lovely couple bought it when I was in my teens - guy called Ken - his wife's name Dot (I think) and they made us very welcome so we almost lived in there.

Also remember buying liquorice root ( like pieces of wood) from Dungworths greengrocers too.

Best of all, there were chip shops all over Heeley (4 within 100 yards of our house) and every one made fantastic chips - such a rarity these days.

On Heeley Green shops wasn't there a Tingles drapers, think their girl went to Carfield and Kermeen the Chemist, their daughter also went to Carfield.

On Heeley Green shops wasn't there a Tingles drapers, think their girl went to Carfield and Kermeen the Chemist, their daughter also went to Carfield.

Hi Duffems,

There was a drapers shop across from our house - second shop up in the block of 4 but they were called Thorpe's when I was a kid. I think it did change hands later so it could well have been someone called Tingle who took it over.

I remember Haining & Kermeen chemists but didn't know the daughter.

Another long time shopkeeper near Kermeens was Frank Woolhouse, the newsagents - his brother also had a newsagents on the corner of Anns Rd & Alexandra Rd. I did a paper round for Staleys on Forster Rd (previously Hudsons).

Archived