Drivers who block side streets and don't let you out

<<<What does annoy me is people who don't say thankyou. >>>

Don't start me off! I agree totally! Lifting a hand off the wheel costs nowt. I just wish there was a way to find out who isn't going to thank you, so you don't give way to them. Usually, my window is open, and I shout 'Thank you' as they drive snootily past. I curse them with the wish they will get two punctures!

Sheffield is by far the worst place I have driven in where the drivers lack common curtiousy. In Mansfield everyone waves if you have given way due to parked cars, or if you let someone out. In Sheffield it's mad, I could give way to 10 cars at the bottom of Stannington Rd and only one will wave.

I can't stand drivers who think it's up to them to 'let you out' or not, like they own the freaking road.:rant:

Common courtesy is allowing anyone waiting at a junction out surely, without making them think they owe you their first born.:roll:

Whilst I agree with you, the driver who has the choice to "let out" or not, has right of way, so he/she doesn't have to let you out at all.

However I always let someone out, but I do expect a wave of thanks in return.

Hollywell Road at Grimethorpe going down the hill towards Upwell Street - I never let anybody out of the side streets because the queue is often from right at the top of the hill and lots of drivers take the back streets as a rat run to the side streets further down the hill :rant:

Whilst I agree with you, the driver who has the choice to "let out" or not, has right of way, so he/she doesn't have to let you out at all.

However I always let someone out, but I do expect a wave of thanks in return.

Yay someone (sort of) agrees with me, ditto mj scuba. This thread was getting a bit one-sided.

I'm sure plenty of people would agree with me, but would not dare admit it on this forum, where people get slated for not complying with other peoples' opinions.

I did not say that I refuse to let every single car I see out of a side road, and I am not being petty; if someone is forcing their way out surely they are being just as selfish as you are making me out to be, by slowing down the traffic on the main road which ultimately has priority. They are deciding that their journey is more important than someone elses.

I always try to leave a gap for side roads and crossroads if there's a traffic queue. I try to look ahead to make sure my car will fit in the gap available without blocking other traffic.

I agree that the driver on the main road has right of way and doesn't have to let anyone out. While it is nice for them to do so, the driver on the side road shouldn't just automatically expect them to let them out.

In regards to people saying thank you. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if I get thanked. Hardly ruins my day.

I sometimes see people coming to a stop in flowing traffic to allow someone in from side road....that's annoying! ;)

I live on a road that features regular nose-to-tail stopped traffic in the evening. Turning right into the flats car park can be interesting sometimes as people stop over the 'keep clear' paint.

When someone does allow a gap to open to let me turn in it is invariably closed by the same driver straight away even though there's no way anyone can push in.

Archived