Do brake pads come with brake grease?

Was going to buy some brake pads and fit them myself but if I have to buy a tub of brake grease that I will never use again, on top of the trauma of taking the wheels off etc I might as well get someone else to fit them!

MIght be a silly question but I aint no mechanic and the parts place is closed.

Also are Mintex pads any good? it's only a 2.2diesel Civic so they don't need to be race spec.

Cheers

:)

Brake pads don't usually come with any grease, never bothered to use the stuff myself when fitting pads.. If you have no experience of the working of the braking system, get some body who knows what they are doing to do the job for you. Some rear brakes need a special tool to wind the piston back into the calliper so that the pads can be fitted. Mintex pads are one of the best.

Brake pads don't usually come with any grease, never bothered to use the stuff myself when fitting pads.. If you have no experience of the working of the braking system, get some body who knows what they are doing to do the job for you. Some rear brakes need a special tool to wind the piston back into the calliper so that the pads can be fitted. Mintex pads are one of the best.

Cheers for that, I shall take your advise and get someone else to fir them :)

I did the front brakes myself on my own car, fitted all new pads and discs, which I bought off eBay, along with the copper grease stuff and brake cleaner. Took me about 2 hours, and it was a bit of a learning curve, but would feel much more confident to do it again next time.

I normally work with computers (programming) so this was way out of my comfort zone, but then if you read the instructions (haynes manual) and watch a few youtube tutorials, and you have the right kit and tools, it's not that hard, just daunting.

Do you know a mechanic who could help you, kinda talk you through it and show you the ropes (or nut and bolts)?

Brake pads couldn't be easier though rear ones sometimes have little quirks like disconecting the handbrake, and little springs that you must put back in place, or they maybe drums.

A wind in tool is no more than ten pounds in halfords or if you can't afford it or don't think it's worth it then you can just use a spanner with something to lever it through the other end.

You might be worrying about nothing anyway since not all cars have windies on the back, as for copper grease it only costs a couple of pounds and more often than not you don't need it.

Oh and don't touch the surface of the pads and don't inhale any dust that may appear while you do the job since pads contain asbestos.

Don't ever put grease on break pads.

You can put copper grease on floating breaks but NOT on the pads.

No you misunderstand! You put copper grease on the rear faces of the pads before inserting into the brake caliper. Friction faces should always be fitted straight out of the box, but most 'friction' manufacturers recommend copper grease / copperslip on the rear faces of the pads. The reason for this is twofold:-

1. It reduces brake squeal....when you hear cars on the road & their brakes are squeaking it is because the pads are chattering / vibrating against the piston that is pushing them onto the brake disk.

2. It ensures that the metal backing plate does not rust to the brake piston in the caliper & facilitates removal of the pads at renewal time.

Just a random search to show exactly where i mean!

See images:-

http://www.daewooclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?tid=4988

Was going to buy some brake pads and fit them myself but if I have to buy a tub of brake grease that I will never use again, on top of the trauma of taking the wheels off etc I might as well get someone else to fit them!

MIght be a silly question but I aint no mechanic and the parts place is closed.

Also are Mintex pads any good? it's only a 2.2diesel Civic so they don't need to be race spec.

Cheers

:)

Pagid are your best option.

Pagid are your best option.

My mate always swears by Pagid or Textar. He fits them to fits 325 BMW & is well into his cars. He buys all the magazines with the reviews & they back up what you say as well.. think it was a toss up between Pagid & Textar as best value & stopping performace.

Think Eurocar Parts sell them?

Archived