California declares fiscal "state of emergency"

Well, look on the bright side.

The San Andreas fault is overdue. I'm keeping an eye open for cheap beach front property in New Mexico. :hihi:

God Bless the Internal Revenue Service. Without them I'd be filthy rich :D

Anyway Arnold's a windbag. He's on his way out and just wants to make a big squawk and cause a bit of sensation before leaving.

Well, look on the bright side.

The San Andreas fault is overdue. I'm keeping an eye open for cheap beach front property in New Mexico. :hihi:

Just as long as it doesn't get as far as New Jersey, who cares.:)

It's nice to wake up on a December morning in California, stroll out to the patio, see the sun up and the temperature around 50 F, the doves cooing in the orange tree

I try not to feel too guilty when I switch the TV on and see blizzarsd. floods and mayhem everywhere else

It's a tough life in the Golden State but some of us have to endure it

I'm sure someone will be along soon to blame Gordon Brown

Mmm - funny you should say that

There were a lot of Gordon Browns among the worlds leaders who all believed in live now, pay later.

Later has arrived!

I quote Vague_Boy who hit the nail on the head perfectly:

"Does anyone remember when economies were built on, y'know, making and selling things, rather than debt, derivatives and printy-printy".

Mmm - funny you should say that

There were a lot of Gordon Browns among the worlds leaders who all believed in live now, pay later.

Later has arrived!

I quote Vague_Boy who hit the nail on the head perfectly:

"Does anyone remember when economies were built on, y'know, making and selling things, rather than debt, derivatives and printy-printy".

Yep, but that was when we were happy to have loads of dirty factories making things and money was slightly more than a piece of paper with some historical figure's head printed on it

Bring back the Cold War. California was the hub of the aerospace and defence industry during those good old days

If it had been an independent country it was at that time the 7th largest economy in the world

Screw Peace! Give War a chance !!!!

Yep, but that was when we were happy to have loads of dirty factories making things and money was slightly more than a piece of paper with some historical figure's head printed on it

Those dirty factories did us proud - as the saying goes "where there's muck, there's money"

We would be happy to have those dirty factories again - we didn't do so badly through the 50's & 60's - jobs galore. If anyone didn't work, it was simply because they were idle.

Although I consider myself fairly green, the "green" view can be discounted simply because the planet is being ruined with or without our "dirty" factories - if things are not being made here, they are still being made elsewhere and many of the people who dislike dirty factories are the same people who drive a big 4/4 and fly abroad for holidays 2 or 3 times a year.

We had muck, sweat and hard skin but we also had skills, jobs, a regular, reliable income and self respect. I'd prefer that rather than the country relying on bankers & speculators - just been proven to us hasn't it?

The world's 8th largest economy is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy:

LINK

The problem is clearly a lack of "stimulus". Get those printing presses running [© Robert Mugabe, 2006]

Does anyone remember when economies were built on, y'know, making and selling things, rather than debt, derivatives and printy-printy.

Expect California to be bailed out, along with all the other states in difficulty:

LINK

Better get in the bailout queue early Arnie. The recovery is "locked in", the world has been saved, but just to be on the safe side, eh?

Heaven forfend that anyone, nations, states or individuals, should be expected to live within their means. What kind of world would that be?

This is old news :loopy:

Archived