Ditch the NHS for private health care

When I worked in Spain, part of my wages went towards a private health care premium. My Eye got injured, and I was immediately informed by my fellow workers that the Doctor (who worked for the medical insurance company) would not acknowledge my injury as serious. They never did, because that way they could get out of paying for any days off work. My colleagues told me that nobody ever got a day off authorised by the medics unless they had "lost a leg." This turned out to be correct. After an examination of my eye which lasted several seconds, I was told there was nothing wrong with me. But there was, and because it was not treated immediately it deteriorated, and subsequently it took almost a year of treatment by the NHS who promptly diagnosed the injury correctly on my return to the UK, and prescribed the appropriate treatment free of charge.

Anyone naive enough to believe that ****** about private healthcare being better should watch the film 'Sicko.' It certainly resonated with my own experience of private medical insurance.

Just about sums it up mate. :clap::clap:

The NHS, the police force and every other public authority/organisation needs to be modernised and streamlined.

Get rid of all the red tape and corporate nonsense and allow the authorities to do fulfill their roles properly. It is the red tape which wastes the money. We don't need more money, we need to stop wasting the money we have!

I don't think we need to privatise the nhs but i do think we need to sort it out and STOP WASTING MONEY.

I totally agree with you.....but it won't ever happen in our lifetime. Most Mp's come from either an accounting or leagal profession background. Red tape is their earner....and they aren't going to get rid of that. If only Guy Falkes...

Just to add my personal experience - had my op today, was lots better than when I had it done in an NHS hospital.

The main difference was rather than being shuffled around waiting areas, I was in a specific 'cubicle' (very nice, had a window view :P) and they moved me when I needed to be. Nice touch was being walked to the operating theatre so I could meet all the staff who'd be helping out.

When I came round, they gave me much more time to recover and chatted to me for a while - at the hospital, I was given 20 minutes to recover and ended up falling over trying to get into my clothes because I was still groggy.

However, with all that in mind - if they aren't taking the complicated cases (day surgery are the most uncomplicated cases), but they're getting the same amount per operation as the hospital who deal with all the non day-surgery cases, it's easy to see why they can provide a much better environment.

So no comment but a snide comment. You have the intellect of an Amoeba.

Bit blunt I know, but rubbish like you posted deserves such comments. The NHS is by no means perfect, never will or can be, but the ethics of the NHS are right and fair. Treatment for all according to need. If money is short then raise taxes, the banks have loads of money.

No apologies mate, keep posting rubbish and I will carry on being as rude as my Amoebic intellect allows. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I think here in the UK more and more people are looking to the private market for treating acute conditions. There will still always be a place for the NHS, both for emergency and chronic conditions however the mroe the private market can do to remove pressure from the NHS the better.

• 1 year later...
Is it time we ditched the NHS in favour of a private health care system, taking parts of health care systems seen in Europe and the US?

It's often difficult to have a proper discussion about the future of our national health care because of the Golden Calf mentality that permeates the public sector, the NHS in particular, and the Unions.

But lets be honest, it's nowhere near perfect and often falls short of what we might expect of a modern health service.

If we had the private sector replace the NHS, competing companies would strive to provide better services and provide them at competative prices to win customers. They would have to meet the service expectations of its customers, or it customers will look elsewhere. The tax burden on Joe Public should go down, then it is your choice whether to spend that extra money in your pocket on fags and booze, or on health insurance.

Just like the energy suppliers did, because competition really drove down prices didn't it?

Health care in some NHS hospitals found to be so sub standard, that it could be considered illegal. It really couldn't get worse than that.

Yet some people still think a bit of privatisation is the worst thing that could happen :loopy:

Yea, taking money out of the system to ensure a profit for someone will really help the situation.

Archived