How do car insurance settlements work?

Simply my car has been written off, i bought it for £2600 in april and i'm new to the whole claiming thing theyve asked me to answer questions like how long is the mot etc

its mot'd til jan 2011

taxed until october 2010

how do they come up with their valuations?

any help much appeciated!

In favour of the insurance company, of course.

If you want to find out what the car is worth (which isn't necessarily the same as what you are going to get.) Check out the 'for sale' adverts and see how much you would have to pay to buy a similar vehicle privately. Find out how many months tax and test that vehicle would have and then - if you do the sums - you should be able to come up with a real figure for what your car might be worth. - You may have paid too much for it in the first place.

Don't accept the first offer either. If you had a full tank of fuel, it could be another £50 or so! If you have copies of recent service history, that will help your case.

i have a scracthcard with a £2 win in the visor i forgot to take out and half a pack of menthol sweets in the glove box lol

<<if i want to 'buy it back'>>

I have a buy-back option for my sports car. If the insurance co write it off, and pay you: that is the end of it. To buy it, I reckon you would have to strike a deal with whoever bought it from them. What category write-off is it?

<<if i want to 'buy it back'>>

I have a buy-back option for my sports car. If the insurance co write it off, and pay you: that is the end of it. To buy it, I reckon you would have to strike a deal with whoever bought it from them. What category write-off is it?

not sure, they havnt said

just got an email back, they say they are offering £2700, minus £700 excess ... then they take off whatever i owe them in regards to monthly payments ive not made yet

is this standard stuff?

Sounds standard (ish) to me. However, I would still try and haggle, anything above 2700 will be a bonus. Try for (say) 3100, you have spent a lot of money on it, just had new tyres, brake linings, that sort of stuff. I am not saying make things up, but just have a good think about what you have spent on it above the purchase price.

Try for (say) 3100, you have spent a lot of money on it, just had new tyres, brake linings, that sort of stuff. I am not saying make things up, but just have a good think about what you have spent on it above the purchase price.

Show me the receipts... :)

Archived