The Heeley Bypass - The Road Nobody Wanted

Good Work that man.

Although I heard that the Heeley City Farm was established, by a group of people, in an effort to stop the heeley bypass, according to a programme on the radio about the farm last year.

It is interesting that the route cleared down Brammall lane, and across Myrtle Bridge is now earmaked for a supertram route if it ever gets funding to be built.

• 9 years later...

As part of some research I am doing I have been looking at the history of the Myrtle Inn on Alexandra Rd. I assume that this and the houses at the bottom end of Alexandra Rd were cleared as part of this scheme at some point between 1978-1981. I say this because the pub features in 2 episodes of the series "I didn't know you cared"! Im not 100% they used the interior but it looks pretty realistic.

Does anyone have any memories of the pub or its demolition they could share?

I went into the pub a couple of times towards the end of its life, I guess in '76 or '77. I believe at the time it was a Bass Charrington pub and had suffered from being given the attention of whoever it was that applied their corporate image i.e. entirely inappropriate decor. I can remember some of the interior walls being painted bright scarlet. There was a juke box of a type I had never seen before or since- it was tall and square with none of the styling one sees normally applied to juke boxes. The top half of it having just square, flat glass panels which enabled the mechanism to be seen functioning. The records were mainly 40's and 50's swing, jazz and crooners with some later exceptions such as Matt Monroe- all the choice of the landlady or the landlord's wife.

The beer was not to my taste at all! Keg bitter I believe.

In the early sixties when I was about eight or nine and being interested in cars, I used to hang around the premises, on Myrtle Road, of a Polish mechanic named Tich. I generally made a nuisance of myself passing him spanners, sweeping up, that kind of thing. He used to send me on errands for his fags to the Myrtle, the back door of which was on Myrtle Road. If it was outside opening hours I had to knock on the door and shout "Tich" and they would bring the fags to the door. The Myrtle pub sign which stood on Myrtle Road was blown down in high winds during the winter, I think, of '76/'77.

I didn't know the Myrtle was used in "I Didn't Know You Cared" but I had a friend who worked at Rabone Chesterman where some filming was done and another friend whose house on Club Garden Road was also used for filming.

I lived on Alexandra Road for many years leaving in 1970 when I married.

The Myrtle pub was my family's local, they all used to meet there for any family occasion and every Friday night for dominoes etc.

My uncle had his wedding reception there in 1960, the 1953 coronation celebration was held there as was the local meeting for the Fellowship of Servicemen.

I remember one of my uncle's arranging a concert there, I believe it was either a charity event or to commemorate something.

The landlord was Eric Staniforth, he and his wife had 3 daughters.

Duffems

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the updates- great info. If you look on Heeley past & present on Facebook there is a lot of other info and a few pictures.

hiya, i lived with my wife and two baby's on the hill on gleadless rd just opposite florence place the houses were taken by compulsory purchase when we were given the buying price we were told by our solicitor the price it was £110. this was for two houses he said he would try for more,finally it was put up to £115. if we wanted more we could have a little more but would have to demolish our property ourselves. one of our neighbours got full market value for her house as she had lived in the property over 5 years we had only had ours just over 4 years, the bypass was to go from pondsfords over to queens rd,another thing that was said our price would have been more if it had been planned for housing.

What an interesting thread, I can well remember the demolition of all of the houses which changed Heeley beyond recognition (and no doubt contributed to the demise of Heeley Bottom).

At the time their was an action group opposed to the demolition, and can remember a magazine/protest newletter being produced at the time which went to all residents 'Heeley Voice' ?.

After the by pass scheme was shelved, the Heeley Bottom tidal flow was created, and have some recollection of a suggestion that Woodseats (Chesterfield Rd Shops) being by passed by an over pass which would link to the Heeley By Pass. I am sure this was rejected due to protest from local traders.

Nearly 40 years ago now, and many families dispersed to other parts of the city through no choice of their own.