A Peter Sutcliffe question

They say that his job as a lorry driver brought him to a depot in Sheffield in december 1980 ; what was the name of this depot and where was/is it?

The articles on the net about the ripper story(that i have only glanced at) dont give this detail.

They say that his job as a lorry driver brought him to a depot in Sheffield in december 1980 ; what was the name of this depot and where was/is it?

The articles on the net about the ripper story(that i have only glanced at) dont give this detail.

It was very close to West Street. Why do you ask?

He was arrested in Havelock Square.

He was arrested on Melbourne Avenue up near (ish) the Hallamshire/ Botanical gardens, after (presumably) picking the girl up in Havelock Square, which in the early 1980's was *cough* "the town-Hall Steps", as my mother referred to it. ;)

Melbourne Ave was not too far from the red-light area at the time, and was secluded enough tho use for that purpose.

My next-door neighbour's daughter, when I was a teenager, was an addict, and working girl, to support her habit. She was out on the "beat" with the woman who was caught with Sutcliffe that night in 1981. (I understand that she worked regularly with the woman caught with Sutcliffe)

On being nabbed, initially for dodgy number plates, Sutcliffe pretended to the police officers that he needed a pee.

He took his weapons with him, and hid them, behind an oil storage tank on Melbourne Avenue. before being taken to Hammerton Road Police Station, in Hillsborough.

The officers realised there was something "suss" going on, and went back to Melbourne Ave to double check what he'd done whilst pretending to pee.

They found the ball-peen hammer, and a sharpened Screwdriver, I believe.

The police realised, when they found the weapons that Sutcliffe had secreted behind the tank, that Olivia Reivers (reevers? sp) was very likely intended to be Sutcliffe's next victim. She had something of a narrow escape.

edit to add google

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.375264,-1.501157&spn=0.004263,0.01929&t=h&z=16&lci=com.panoramio.all&layer=c&cbll=53.374425,-1.500374&panoid=3nOYq7uU4plvoNH3OM9UEQ&cbp=11,25.45,,0,7.23

He was arrested on Melbourne Avenue up near (ish) the Hallamshire/ Botanical gardens, after (presumably) picking the girl up in Havelock Square, which in the early 1980's was *cough* "the town-Hall Steps", as my mother referred to it. ;)

Melbourne Ave was not too far from the red-light area at the time, and was secluded enough tho use for that purpose.

My next-door neighbour's daughter, when I was a teenager, was an addict, and working girl, to support her habit. She was out on the "beat" with the woman who was caught with Sutcliffe that night in 1981. (I understand that she worked regularly with the woman caught with Sutcliffe)

On being nabbed, initially for dodgy number plates, Sutcliffe pretended to the police officers that he needed a pee.

He took his weapons with him, and hid them, behind an oil storage tank on Melbourne Avenue. before being taken to Hammerton Road Police Station, in Hillsborough.

The officers realised there was something "suss" going on, and went back to Melbourne Ave to double check what he'd done whilst pretending to pee.

They found the ball-peen hammer, and a sharpened Screwdriver, I believe.

The police realised, when they found the weapons that Sutcliffe had secreted behind the tank, that Olivia Reivers (reevers? sp) was very likely intended to be Sutcliffe's next victim. She had something of a narrow escape.

edit to add google

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.375264,-1.501157&spn=0.004263,0.01929&t=h&z=16&lci=com.panoramio.all&layer=c&cbll=53.374425,-1.500374&panoid=3nOYq7uU4plvoNH3OM9UEQ&cbp=11,25.45,,0,7.23

PT, is that the little track next to the Girls High School ?

PT, is that the little track next to the Girls High School ?

it is the very one, it's got a bollard blocking off the high school entrance end, nearer the Hallamshire hosp, but is open (as per that pic I linked to) at the other end.

it is the very one, it's got a bollard blocking off the high school entrance end, nearer the Hallamshire hosp, but is open (as per that pic I linked to) at the other end.

I never knew that it was a proper road, the smoking fraternity used to use it.:)

Archived