Do you need a passport to fly within the UK?

If you think about it that would mean that on the border areas, people would need a passport to nip between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to go to the shops.

Just like is the case between any other border? If you lived on the Canadian border I'm pretty sure you'd need to show your passport before going into the USA.

Just like is the case between any other border? If you lived on the Canadian border I'm pretty sure you'd need to show your passport before going into the USA.

If I go into Austria (15 miles away) I don't have to show a passport. Nor do I have to show a passport (or go through any sort of manned 'border crossing') to enter any other EU country ... apart from on journeys to and from the UK.

"Partition of Ireland...

The border was created in 1921 under the United Kingdom Parliament's Government of Ireland Act of 1920, legislating for Home Rule in Ireland, with separate parliaments for Southern Ireland and what became Northern Ireland...

Originally intended as an internal frontier within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the border became an international frontier in December 1922 when the Parliament of Northern Ireland exercised its right to opt out of the Irish Free State...

Customs controls were introduced on the frontier shortly after the establishment of the Irish Free State. These controls were maintained, with varying degrees of severity, until 31 December 1992 when the European Single Market came into effect. There are no longer any operational customs posts along either side of the border...

Whilst it has never been necessary for Irish or British citizens to produce a passport to cross the border, during the 1970s troubles, security forces regularly asked travellers for identification. Smaller border roads were cratered at the border to prevent people crossing; a list of "approved roads" was drawn up. In recent times (since the early 1990s) such controls have not been in operation on the border and the craters have been filled in."

If I go into Austria (15 miles away) I don't have to show a passport. Nor do I have to show a passport (or go through any sort of manned 'border crossing') to enter any other EU country ... apart from on journeys to and from the UK.

"Partition of Ireland...

The border was created in 1921 under the United Kingdom Parliament's Government of Ireland Act of 1920, legislating for Home Rule in Ireland, with separate parliaments for Southern Ireland and what became Northern Ireland...

Originally intended as an internal frontier within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the border became an international frontier in December 1922 when the Parliament of Northern Ireland exercised its right to opt out of the Irish Free State...

Customs controls were introduced on the frontier shortly after the establishment of the Irish Free State. These controls were maintained, with varying degrees of severity, until 31 December 1992 when the European Single Market came into effect. There are no longer any operational customs posts along either side of the border...

Whilst it has never been necessary for Irish or British citizens to produce a passport to cross the border, during the 1970s troubles, security forces regularly asked travellers for identification. Smaller border roads were cratered at the border to prevent people crossing; a list of "approved roads" was drawn up. In recent times (since the early 1990s) such controls have not been in operation on the border and the craters have been filled in."

One of my German friends once came to the UK using her ID card. She was let out of Germany and into the UK OK but when she wanted to leave 'questions were asked' at passport control.

Learn something new everyday....

How often do the buses run there then ?..can you get a day saver ?

With a bus pass you can get from Sheffield to just about anywhere in the UK for free as long as you avoid the different restrictions imposed by various bus companies.

Archived